Notices

lightning headers in a bravo drive 24-7

Old 02-01-2014, 04:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
Default lightning headers in a bravo drive 24-7

hello all.

i want to use a set of lightning freshwater headers in my 1977 pantera 24-7 project. its a big chevy / bravo boat.

my concern is how far back the collectors are on the lightning headers as they terminate 5 inches past the back of the engine block. with a bravo drive, that doesnt leave me a lot of space to mate the collector to the tip. the lightning website says the headers will mate up with a stock mercruiser tip location so i think i'm good but i'm wondering if anyone here has done this already.

my exhaust tip holes are not cut yet so i can cut them wherever they land. i'm more concerned about having enough room between the collector and the tips.

any thoughts?

thanks
Old 02-01-2014, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check the stainless #540542 out. If they will work for you I can save you a couple grand as I have some with just test time on them. Jan said he would back them as new.
They are for tight fitting qrtrs and low overhead to fit nice under engine cover.
larry
Old 02-01-2014, 07:03 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,091 Likes on 1,393 Posts

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
hello all.

i want to use a set of lightning freshwater headers in my 1977 pantera 24-7 project. its a big chevy / bravo boat.

my concern is how far back the collectors are on the lightning headers as they terminate 5 inches past the back of the engine block. with a bravo drive, that doesnt leave me a lot of space to mate the collector to the tip. the lightning website says the headers will mate up with a stock mercruiser tip location so i think i'm good but i'm wondering if anyone here has done this already.

my exhaust tip holes are not cut yet so i can cut them wherever they land. i'm more concerned about having enough room between the collector and the tips.

any thoughts?

thanks
You'll be fine.

Only issue some people have had with these and tips already installed, is when the replace cyl heads that have raised exhaust ports. Since collectors are close to transom, doesn't leave much room to bend the connectors, which don't like to ben anway.
Old 02-01-2014, 07:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Thanks for the replies.
Any chance anyone has pics of some installed?

I'm going to call jan on Monday but I was hoping someone here had first hand experience with them.
Old 02-02-2014, 01:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have them but mine are the silent choice ones, not sure if they are the same...Rob
Old 02-02-2014, 01:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all boats that are set up with a big block and a bravo and stock heads should all be the same exact distance from the transom to the back of the block right? Cause there is no difference in bellhousing length or transmission length?(since bravos have no trannys) Cause you couldn't really have the motor pushed further away from the transom, cause there would be no way to make up that length difference with shaft of the outdrive that slides into the gimbal. Am I correct on this?
Old 02-02-2014, 02:06 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by stlliberator
all boats that are set up with a big block and a bravo and stock heads should all be the same exact distance from the transom to the back of the block right? Cause there is no difference in bellhousing length or transmission length?(since bravos have no trannys) Cause you couldn't really have the motor pushed further away from the transom, cause there would be no way to make up that length difference with shaft of the outdrive that slides into the gimbal. Am I correct on this?
Except staggers.....
Old 02-02-2014, 02:17 PM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts

I have used Lightning Headers exclusively on my builds since the later 80s. the stock bravos that Jan produced will work just fine for you! I never had a problem with them fitting. Also had him make custom fitting headers for non-stock set ups!
Old 02-02-2014, 04:44 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by stlliberator
You are correct. I mocked up my bellhousing and inner transom plate and it looks like about 11 inches from the back of the engine block and the inner transom. According to lightning, the collector terminates 5 inches behind the engine block leaving 6 inches for wet hose and tips.
Old 02-02-2014, 04:46 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Anyone use the "freshwater" stainless inner/mild steel outer headers?

If so, how did the powder coat hold up and any problems to speak of?

Thanks, rob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.