Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Low frequency vibration... >

Low frequency vibration...

Notices

Low frequency vibration...

Old 02-02-2014, 09:09 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

It would be enjoyable if you'd take (and post) pictures of replacing coupler without pulling engine
Old 02-02-2014, 09:10 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 866 Likes on 325 Posts

Originally Posted by usglow
I did attempt to isolate the problem. No luck that way, everything seemed to be OK.
Although I was able to I visually inspect the starboard coupler through the gimbal bearing. I can see a definite delineation where the rubber meets the metal insert.

Now I am going to attempt to change the coupler without pulling the motor out. Fun fun!!
I really appreciate the input!
How is that possible? You have to take the bell housing off which holds up the back of the engine.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:21 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am hoping to be able to move the engine forward and support it otherwise. Is this even feasible?

I just have no way to actually pull the engine out of the boat.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:02 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well upon further inspection and reflection it seems as though I do not thrive on a challenge as much as I did many years ago. So I will let the professionals have all the fun on this change out.
Off to find a good mechanic.

Thanks for all the help!
Old 02-02-2014, 10:05 AM
Registered

IMO if you aren't able to r&r motor yourself ,you should find a reputable shop to be using in your area . IF the coupler is your problem, replacing it is not difficult, but it requires engine r&r.
I was joking about you taking pictures of doing it without pulling motor
Old 02-02-2014, 10:13 AM
Registered

Good plan on post 14..As long as you have decided on pro help ,have them diagnose the vibration .It would suc to replace coupler and still have same issue
Old 02-02-2014, 10:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by motor
Good plan on post 14..As long as you have decided on pro help ,have them diagnose the vibration .It would suc to replace coupler and still have same issue
I agree, I've had a friend throw parts at problems only to find out it was something else. Also a coupler that's greased and aligned should last almost indefinitely.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:32 AM
Registered

When throttling up are both engines at the same RPM? Engines out of sync will cause a viberation.
Old 02-02-2014, 10:43 AM
Registered

Also is it possible that maybe you have a intermittent engine/s issue seemingly like its coming from the driveline? Vapor lock, fuel, ignition, etc.
Old 02-02-2014, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Find a good tree limb and use a chain fall or something. Forklifts, back hoe, skid loader all work pretty well. I've done the tree limb deal alot. Motor doesn't have to come all the way out but up and forward a little.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.