Low frequency vibration... >

Low frequency vibration...

Notices

Low frequency vibration...

Old 02-02-2014, 11:32 AM
Registered

Received 239 Likes on 92 Posts
Cool

Hopefully it was a good "shade tree", hate to work in the sun!

JUST KIDDING ! had to take the shot!! now that you mention it I have use the tree limb thing at my GF house years ago when her dad forgot to drain the block on a nice woody Century.
Old 02-02-2014, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a HUGE issue with the coupler and outdrive spline - the prior owner took it upon himself to tighten down engine mounts- not realizing that he mal-aligned the engine. Therefore, it tore up the spines on the coupler and outdrive shaft - this was not a inexpensive fix. However, it can be beneficial - if you need to pull the engine it maybe a good time to replace all the "rubber", bearings, and water pump--- that's where the cost really climbs- but as I told the marina - I like you guys - I don't love you!!!! I don't want to be back for a while

good luck

3pointstar
Old 02-02-2014, 09:58 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,773 Likes on 876 Posts

Before anything, send the props in and get them balanced or try another set of props.
Props slapping can create some wierd vibrations. Before I sent mine to BBlades, I get some vibration at slow planing speeds or right as I was getting on plane.
Also, it could be a bad/bent propshaft.
When a coupler goes, it goes. There is no intermittent issue.
Old 02-03-2014, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Griff
Before anything, send the props in and get them balanced or try another set of props.
Props slapping can create some wierd vibrations. Before I sent mine to BBlades, I get some vibration at slow planing speeds or right as I was getting on plane.
When a coupler goes, it goes. There is no intermittent issue.
Good point Griff, last summer a guy at work had a coupler go bad. After I talked to him about it, he said he noticed no symptoms leading up to the day it failed.
Old 02-04-2014, 07:36 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,086 Likes on 1,388 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
We are on a rocky lake. Most times when I here a complaint like this, it ends up being what Griff mentioned above.
Old 02-04-2014, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I had a coupler show signs of going bad. Drop it in gear hit the throttle nothing thought I broke the drive. Shut it off checked what I could started it up drop in gear nothing got pissed held it wide open smelled rubber started moving and ran it about 20 miles home. After getting it back in to the marina it went back into neutral. Sure enough it was a coupler. My buddy has a small twin engine cat that eats couplers for breakfast (if you road in it you would know why) it usually ends up with some sort of vibration just before the couplers let loose.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:57 PM
Platinum Member

Received 134 Likes on 80 Posts

When the splines on the coupler let go they don't make any smell. Ask me .