Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
builder question? >

builder question?

Notices

builder question?

Old 02-03-2014, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 37 Posts

This is the whole reason I put a new Superflow Dyno in my shop. I can literally be dynoing the first motor and have the second motor on the other cart ready to go. When it comes time to swap motors it takes me 15 minuets to swap motors and have the next one running and setting the timing.

Having this ability made it practical for a customer to view the dyno time. They can arrive at 10 AM, watch both motors run on the dyno, pay the bill, and be loaded up and on their way home before lunch. It gives the customer the piece of mind of knowing they got what they paid for without scheduling an entire day at the shop.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:17 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the motor is since been rebuilt, the dist in the hurt motor was set completely diff than the good engine, I did nothing but what they told me to do, it would not run right if I just turn in advance on the dist. the whole ordeal is. im stuck paying for a motor that was never dynode, im being screwed but he did say I didn't charge you this time for the dyno.oh thanks for being so nice .trust me theres a lot of covering his ass to cover there name but if he makes me eat the whole bill then I will have to let his name be told. I mean come on you took my first season feb til the end of oct to refresh 2 engines, then I get 1.3hrs on the next season before I give up and pull the suspect engine. like I said get it in writing complete date, price and warranty. and there were 3 diff guys looking over my shoulder at the way we were timing it and they said it has to be off at the cam gear or degreed wrong, now that I couldn't tell you only they know. and the truth will never be revealed by them. that 1hour and 30minutes at 18.000 then 4400.00 do the math yes im pissed.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:24 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

look it was not at 56 60 degress of timing, it started smooth and ran crisp, not saying it was on but it was atleast running more than I had before. I will end up eating this, and guess what you guys will get to see the dyno sheet, repair and build sheet on both engines, oh yes just for giggles I asked for the second dyno sheet in the beginning and it couldn't be foundonly to appear now.
Old 02-03-2014, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnyboatman
look it was not at 56 60 degress of timing, it started smooth and ran crisp, not saying it was on but it was atleast running more than I had before. I will end up eating this, and guess what you guys will get to see the dyno sheet, repair and build sheet on both engines, oh yes just for giggles I asked for the second dyno sheet in the beginning and it couldn't be foundonly to appear now.
Johnny, we are just trying to help, based on the information YOU provide us. If you took my suggestion of the timing scenario, as an insult to you or your buddies intelligence, I apologize. I do not know you personally. You can be a master tech, or a guy who has a hard time with righty tighty lefty loosey. I do not know what you're capable of as far as timing an engine.

Its seems as of lately, your posts are not on a quest for answers to your problems, but instead in a quest to tell the story of how your builder fuked you over. If that is the case, I'd rather not sit here trying to figure out scenerio's for someone who doesn't care to hear any technical insight. I feel like the guys trying to help you in these threads are being led on wild goose chases. Attempting to solve your problem for you, when in fact that is not what you want.

Why don't we quit dancing around the topic. You been posting about these engines and how badly you been screwed on them, for over a year now. Call the builder or shop out on it. This
Old 02-03-2014, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Johnny, I don't know anything about your situation, builder, engines, etc. but there are a few things that I can tell you with 100% certainty. First, the engine was never ran if the exhaust ports are completely clean. No way around that one. They could have taken parts off of it, like the valve covers or whatever else, but there is no way to completely clean the ports on the engine. Next, if you set timing by ear, you will always set it high. The more timing you put in it, especially at idle or in gear, the better it sounds and runs (within reason) You will always end up with too much timing.

That brings me to a few questions. Why in the hell did you have to set the timing if the engine was run on the dyno? Why would ANY engine builder worth a damn tell the customer to set the timing? I would never tell one of my customers to set his own timing, especially after I had supposedly dynoed it. This is why I am in the boat the first time the engine runs, whether we installed it or not. If we didn't install it, I'm on a plane flying to where the boat is located.
Eddie
Old 02-03-2014, 10:49 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

eddie,i had an engine at a dyno shop and they used a msd7 box on the dyno,weended up at 35 deg total because the engine liked it,when i installed it in the boat it was hard to start and sounded lazy.when i put the timing lite on it timing was at 0 and the dist was never moved from the set position on dyno.the difference was i had msd6al box in the boat.until that day i had no idea that the timing would be different with the 7 vs 6 box.
Old 02-04-2014, 12:55 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

im no dumb ass when you pick up 2 motors and one has coal black exhaust ports, carb bolted on,valve covers on, fuel pump rod installed,etc., the other looks like they just put it on a stand and said yes it was dynoed, the carb, valve covers, fuel pump, fp rod,were not on it,intake was taped up just like it was they first put it on. when we first took it out the thing wouldnt idle in gear, i called them he said add some timing to it, the dyno and our boats timing is different? like i said the one engine timed easy, the other would either start easy and sound lazy, or crank hard and sound good, 1 dist i think was locked the other not, so i took it and did it by ear, just like the old days, its got crane ignition boxes with merc dist.
yes crane hi-6m boxes set at 0retard 0advance 5700limit i called them out on the not being dynoed right in the beginning they had my money and parts i was at the mercy.
Merc distributors don't have a mechanical advance. They would both be locked without a module or advance set on the box.

If I remember correctly, the Crane Boxes needed to have the rotor phased to set the timing correctly.
Old 02-04-2014, 02:19 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
eddie,i had an engine at a dyno shop and they used a msd7 box on the dyno,weended up at 35 deg total because the engine liked it,when i installed it in the boat it was hard to start and sounded lazy.when i put the timing lite on it timing was at 0 and the dist was never moved from the set position on dyno.the difference was i had msd6al box in the boat.until that day i had no idea that the timing would be different with the 7 vs 6 box.
Was it a digital 7 box or the 7al2? Rotor to cap relation while the piston is at tdc will always be the same no matter what box it is. Unless the digital box had the timing curve or advance set in it.
Old 02-04-2014, 03:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does not matter what i wrote..Next!

Last edited by FIXX; 02-04-2014 at 10:18 PM.
Old 02-04-2014, 09:33 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I can't post the name as per my attorney, YET I called them out on everything right out of the box, I asked if it had been ran yet, was told yes , which by looking at it , it hadn't but what can I do they're the boss of there shop. I was trying to get some input from guys on here for my attorney to read as per dyno , thanks guys for all your help I will say this when I originally started doing these 700hp was the goal they're 75hp short and have been a headache since day one, I just feel as if it would had been dynoed I wouldn't be paying the 4500.00 repair bill and I paid 18000.00 to have them built and dynoed and the suspect engine hasn't ran right since the beginning and if there was a timing issue it would be caught on the dyno.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.