Hinge pin threads stripped >

Hinge pin threads stripped

Notices

Hinge pin threads stripped

Old 02-04-2014, 05:41 PM
Registered

Received 290 Likes on 180 Posts
Default Hinge pin threads stripped

I pulled the first gimble ring off my 29 Fountain twin today. Don't think they have ever been off before. Went pretty smooth except for pulling the threads out of the bell housing while removing one of the hinge pins.
I heated it with a torch, but still didn't go well. I see from a search some folks on OSO have had good luck with helicoils.
Anyone know where I can order a helicoil kit and what size/pitch the threads are?

Thx!
Old 02-04-2014, 06:40 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

Send them to JRMarine. I would not try to do that myself.

Here is a link $125, or $190 for both. Hard to beat that

http://www.jrmarine.com/products/bellhousing.htm
Old 02-04-2014, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

5/8 - 18
Old 02-04-2014, 08:02 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just put an hp hinge pin in it. Just have to drill the hole out for the bigger pin and then drill and tap 4 1/4-20 holes.
Old 02-04-2014, 11:39 PM
Registered

Thx for the replies guys.

I've had good luck in the past installing helicoils including one in alum that was done abt 12 years ago and is still holding the hydrostatic drive in my John Deere lawn tractor.
The JR marine fix sounds like a good back-up plan if the helicoil doesn't work out.

Not sure what to make of the HP hinge pin. Maybe I'm missing something here but there's very little room between the bell housing and the gimble ring. Don't see how that thing would fit in there

Anyone have a online source for a high quality helicoil kit? I used to have a privately owned auto parts store near me that also catered to farmers/ranchers. They had all kinds of neat stuff and some very knowledgeable folks working there, but they got bought out by a big chain and all that came to an abrupt end.

Old 02-05-2014, 03:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got mine from O'Reillys. Otherwise, McMaster Carr has anything piece of hardware you'll ever need to build anything in stock and you'll have it in two days.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:17 PM
Registered

I checked McMaster Carr. They have no kits that include 5/8-18. Same with O-Riellys.
Grainger has a 5/8 -18 kit, but costs almost $300!

Checked around locally at bolt and industrial tool shops. Prices range from $100 to ~$150.
Found a couple of kits on Ebay for ~ $50 that don't include the oddball 41/64's drill bit. That looks like the way to go.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pm me I should have the tools and parts to install much better quality thread inserts than helicoils
If I have them just pay round trip shipping on the tools And I will give you the inserts.
Old 02-05-2014, 04:56 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The JR Marine HP hinge pin upgrade replaces the trim senders. If your boat does not need the trim senders I would do that upgrade. I wanted to do it on my boat but it is a single and I use the trim senders. Does you boat have mechanical drive and tab position indicators or does it use the merc trim senders?
Old 02-05-2014, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
Thx for the replies guys.

I've had good luck in the past installing helicoils including one in alum that was done abt 12 years ago and is still holding the hydrostatic drive in my John Deere lawn tractor.
The JR marine fix sounds like a good back-up plan if the helicoil doesn't work out.

Not sure what to make of the HP hinge pin. Maybe I'm missing something here but there's very little room between the bell housing and the gimble ring. Don't see how that thing would fit in there

Anyone have a online source for a high quality helicoil kit? I used to have a privately owned auto parts store near me that also catered to farmers/ranchers. They had all kinds of neat stuff and some very knowledgeable folks working there, but they got bought out by a big chain and all that came to an abrupt end.

I've installed the hp pins a few times and never even took anything apart...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.