Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Selecting a manifold for AFR 265's - single versus dual plane - thoughts anyone? >

Selecting a manifold for AFR 265's - single versus dual plane - thoughts anyone?

Notices

Selecting a manifold for AFR 265's - single versus dual plane - thoughts anyone?

Old 02-25-2014, 12:09 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
I agree.

What I wanna know is, when are these oso 496 stroker builds gonna hit the dyno. It seems like since 2012, we been trying to figure them out. To stroke or not to stroke, I beam or H beam, small ovals, or small rectangles, dual plane or single plane, crane or scorpion rockers, 750 or 850 holley, 496 manifolds or Gil manifolds, DUI or Merc or MSD?. Budman, Borgie, couple others. I wanna see some dyno numbers! What you guys building over there, some space shuttles? Put a fukin intake on it already and lets go!
I submit that the 9 ambers are having something to do with my lack of progress on this build.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:11 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
I submit that the 9 ambers are having something to do with my lack of progress on this build.
Switch to vodka and bolt a tunnel ram on it!
Old 02-25-2014, 12:17 PM
Registered

Switch to vodka and bolt a tunnel ram on it!
You want me to run it on vodka? Wouldn't I have a problem with water in the fuel?
Old 02-25-2014, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

You want me to run it on vodka? Wouldn't I have a problem with water in the fuel?
Im just bustin chops. But seriously, you gotta be getting close to dyno time? I really am looking forward to seeing the results. How much power are you hoping for?
Old 02-25-2014, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree.

What I wanna know is, when are these oso 496 stroker builds gonna hit the dyno. It seems like since 2012, we been trying to figure them out. To stroke or not to stroke, I beam or H beam, small ovals, or small rectangles, dual plane or single plane, crane or scorpion rockers, 750 or 850 holley, 496 manifolds or Gil manifolds, DUI or Merc or MSD?. Budman, Borgie, couple others. I wanna see some dyno numbers! What you guys building over there, some space shuttles? Put a fukin intake on it already and lets go!
There is a bunch of dyno data out there with various combos of intakes and heads etc..... However, there is not much out there using all marine parts.......
Old 02-25-2014, 12:42 PM
Registered

Im just bustin chops. But seriously, you gotta be getting close to dyno time? I really am looking forward to seeing the results. How much power are you hoping for?
I know you are - and it's probably deserved considering how long this thing has dragged out and all the worrying I have done with it. It's the second trip around on it, so I'm trying to get things in a row so I don't have to do it a THIRD time.

Going to run it on a startup cart before it makes any trips to the dyno. Would be just my luck to fork out $4-600 for the dyno time and drive several hours only to find some kind of an issue. I built this thing myself, so it's not like I can go after someone else if I start it up and have a rod knocking.

I have a dyno right around the corner from where I work, but he runs only racing fuel, so it's not going to be very helpful for my tune. Whole 'nother thread on that one.

Hoping for around 575 HP with wet exhaust and accessories. Same cam is running in a 502 with stock 088 heads, Air Gap, and Stainless Marine exhaust and it made around 530 with wet exhaust and accessories on it. Wasn't a "west coast dyno", but can't vouch for the numbers personally.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:57 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,108 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by tpabayflyer
There is a bunch of dyno data out there with various combos of intakes and heads etc..... However, there is not much out there using all marine parts.......
I did 502 with same sort of cam, decent afmkt heads, on the dyno with full wet exhaust. Different intakes, with/without this and that accessory, and etc,etc

On water with different motors as far as intakes, intake gaskets (small blocks), oil valley trays (sbc/bbc) and etc,etc. 350's, 383's, 454's, 496's, 502's....................

I posted my answer.

Run the Dart Oval Single plane (on the motor thread starter building) and worry about other things.

But, internet advice is free advice. So treat it that way. I understand.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:10 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

Valid point, Mike. Honestly, I would like to maximize my part throttle cruising speed, say at 3400 RPM or so. However, that's easier to do with a car that has multiple gears in the tranny. In a boat, I can throw a bigger prop on there to try to take advantage of a big torque number in the mid-range, but then I might not be able to spin that prop at the top end. At what point am I "lugging" the motor? Seems that I read somewhere that you try to prop so your WOT max RPM is about 1000 RPM above the torque peak. Is that correct?

I used to be more worried about a big number for the top speed, but now I realize that someone is always going to be faster, so I'm not as worried about it. I use this boat for a lot of things besides running flat out - it even sees duty slinging the kids around on a tube sometimes.

I also want to be able to hit the diverter occasionally and run it through the prop to quiet it down. Most of the time this will be at lower cruising speeds between 2800-3200 RPM, but I could see where it would be nice to quiet it down at idle too. That's why I asked about a dual plane as a hedge against reversion, since the sequential cylinders in the firing order are not drawing in charge right next to each other in the plenum. Anyone have any experience with this?

I realize I have a lot more compromises in my setup than the average performance enthusiast on this site. That's why I'm spending so much time deciding.
I am remembering hearing 1200 rpm above peak torque.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
I did 502 with same sort of cam, decent afmkt heads, on the dyno with full wet exhaust. Different intakes, with/without this and that accessory, and etc,etc

On water with different motors as far as intakes, intake gaskets (small blocks), oil valley trays (sbc/bbc) and etc,etc. 350's, 383's, 454's, 496's, 502's....................

I posted my answer.

Run the Dart Oval Single plane (on the motor thread starter building) and worry about other things.

But, internet advice is free advice. So treat it that way. I understand.
Thanks SB, appreciate your advice. And rest assured, I will probably find something else to worry about too. That's where those 9 ambers come in.
Old 02-25-2014, 01:16 PM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts

I just checked the price of the gaskets and see what you mean. Better than twice the normal cost.

Knowing the results without a doubt. Priceless!

Mark

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.