Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Can anyone answer my boatin buddies ? >

Can anyone answer my boatin buddies ?

Notices

Can anyone answer my boatin buddies ?

Old 08-13-2002, 08:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone answer my boatin buddies ?

Ron seems to believe his spline/ drive shaft coupler between the engine and the outdrive has stripped out. It should be confirmed in the next day or two. Are you aware of a "High Performance" coupler that is stronger and more durable than the stock one? Let us know as he would like to replace it with something a little stronger if possible. He has about 130 hours on the drive train and this seems like an odd occurrence. No prop damage etc....

He bought a new Donzi 27 w/385 hp
Old 08-13-2002, 08:49 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

If he wore it out in that many hours behind stock power, I'd be looking at drive alignment as a cause. Even straight from the dealer I would check a new boat. Peace of mind. What year is the boat?? Regular service (grease the zerk fittings, etc...)?? Does he ski with it?? Pull wake boards?? Live for the hole shot?? All these things can lead to less life from a coupler. Myself, I got over 400 hours out of mine before I replaced it this season, and I replaced it only because it was starting to look worn, not because it didn't work anymore. Again, peace of mind. And I didn't want to have to pull the motor (again!!) to replace it if and when it failed.

What are the symptoms?? Revs up but goes no where fast?? Rubber hub prop? Even without visible damage the prop hub could be bad.
Old 08-13-2002, 09:49 PM
prichardson

I had one blow out on our new Baja, stock 7.4's, 170 hrs. Seems the dealer never greased them at the 20 hr check. I do all my own srevice work now. Should be lubed every 50 hrs.

Old 08-14-2002, 08:40 AM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 60 Posts

I just replaced mine on a 98 260 Powerquest with 200 hrs. The front 2 nuts on the motor mounts were loose. If the motor is out of alignment it will cause premature wear. I replaced it with the standard coupler. They do make a heavy duty coupler thats steel instead of aluminum. My mechanic didn't want to put it in with a stock motor. His feeling was, better to strip the coupler than break the drive. The coupler cost me 700 bucks installed vs big $$$ for outdrive repair. Does the boat not go in gear? When mine stripped out the coupler was turning but the shaft on the drive wasn't. So I was stuck! 400 bucks for seatow Good luck!
Old 08-14-2002, 08:53 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

When my coupler went I was dead in the water too. You can see the coupler spinning but not the shaft and there were metal shavings in the area. My cause was the front motor mounts coming loose too. Fortunatly mine was under warranty.
Old 08-14-2002, 12:59 PM
blackhawk

Gary C is right. Better a coupler than an outdrive.

Old 08-14-2002, 07:09 PM
Registered

I blew the splines out in one last year, not long after get the boat. Engine alignement was perfect. No holeshots possible due to blow out of the prop if tried. My case was definately due to no grease on the zerk by previous owner. Boat had about 375 hours on iit. My other boat had 1000hrs on original coupler with me maintaining it over the years. Grease is the key to spline life.

BT
Old 08-14-2002, 08:35 PM
Hudson

I've more of a question than an answer. The other responses all advise greasing the zerks on the spline. What type grease do you use? I need to grease mine now, and wonder if I just buy the Mercruiser grease or is there a preferred alternative?
I've got a 454 Mag with a Bravo I outdrive.

Old 08-14-2002, 09:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I was told some replace with a diesel coupler. But then again better the coupler than the drive.

Gary, We will be out East the 23rd to the 3rd, yea ha!!
Old 08-14-2002, 09:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I think the same coupler is used all the way up to 575 SC.

Quick Reply: Can anyone answer my boatin buddies ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.