Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Is this a go fast hull or am I dreaming? >

Is this a go fast hull or am I dreaming?

Notices

Is this a go fast hull or am I dreaming?

Old 03-02-2014, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

look for a better hull...
Old 03-02-2014, 07:59 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ezstriper
look for a better hull...
Honesty love it!
Old 03-02-2014, 08:05 AM
Registered

Thanks for the detailed response
Im no expert but years ago we put 1200 hp in to an 86 scarab and the first thing tommy from chief recomended was bonding and glassing the seam. Ill put around until I ca afford a sunsation
Old 03-02-2014, 08:09 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by phragle
GENERALLY speaking, the deeper the deadrise the smoother the ride in the rough. THe shallower the deadrise the faster the boat will be.
Very true but you also need more power to push a boat with a steeper vee which is why most manufacturers dont offer 23-24 degree on most boats--most go with a shallow V and a v6 or small block
Old 03-02-2014, 10:35 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by spectras only
Why is my response provocative? Bonding hull and deck with either plexus or metalchrylate adds structural strength for a boat that was meant to be used at high speed or run in rough water. Adding cloth and mat inside at the seams also helps. Having an inner liner also adds more rigidity. Capped boats are butt construction vs shoe box so they are bonded from the inside and done for looks for folks who don't want rubrails .DCB owners are one of those. Many older boats , including offshore style ones were built with shoe box method and only screws holding the hull deck together. Better ones had nuts/bolts every 6" or so and held together much better.
I've been around boats only 50 or so years, so what do I know. Sorry if I offended anyone with a boat that the builder chose to use shoe box method to build their boat and use screws only to hold hull&deck together,LOL.

Slamming into waves at 60+, bow acceleration puts tremendous pressures on a hull,1000\s of pounds per square inch causing the hull flex like noodle. This image shows load distribution on the hull with greatest stress points on the hull. You'll see more stress cracks in the forward section of the hull from the bulkhead towards the bow on some boats that were running hard.
Absolutely. I had an 80's Formula. The Deck was bonded to the hull, via glue, screws, and some thru bolts. In rough water, it was a wet noodle rattle box. My Fountain is glassed at the deck joint all the way around, and is much more rigid in rough waters. While this may not be as much of an issue in a short boat like a 25ft, it is definitely a concern as the length, weight, and speed grow.
Old 03-02-2014, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MT, you still visiting Speedwake? Haven't been over there for a long time. Is the gang still active there? Does Jeff still has his Outerlimits?
Old 03-02-2014, 11:34 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by spectras only
MT, you still visiting Speedwake? Haven't been over there for a long time. Is the gang still active there? Does Jeff still has his Outerlimits?
Havent been on there much in the last several years...
Old 03-02-2014, 01:06 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Joe, fountains are bonded right? I was always unsure about that.
Old 03-02-2014, 02:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
Joe, fountains are bonded right? I was always unsure about that.
This is from Fountain's website> http://www.fountainpowerboats.com/_Construction.html

'Additionally, we are one of the few boat builders that takes the time to bond the deck and hull together with fiberglass as part of our six-step bonding process to create a unitized construction that is more durable and less likely to flex and break.'
Old 03-02-2014, 03:17 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 382 Likes on 153 Posts

My 99' Warlock Cat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.