Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Quadrajet limitations? >

Quadrajet limitations?

Notices

Quadrajet limitations?

Old 03-03-2014, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

"I think some of the drag and circle track guys would modify or eliminate the anti-slosh baffle in the float bowl to give a little more capacity. I was running a regular marine Q-jet on a mildly modified 454 (making maybe 375 - 390 HP) and just changed the jets and rods to richen it up some, and never ran out of fuel. I think as long as your fuel pump and lines can keep up, you will probably be OK for an occasional full throttle burst. Now if you are running poker runs or your only speeds are idle and WFO, then you probably need to stick with a Holley anyway. What kind of intake are you running - does it even have the correct flange to accept a Q-jet spreadbore arrangement?"

I do a lot of mid-power cruising, so part throttle performance is a must and fuel economy would be nice too. I actually do very little full-power runs, but when I do, I don't want the bowls going dry. The fuel delivery is no problem.
The intake is a world castings model that matchs my Merlin rectangle port heads. I'm pretty sure the carb flange is a 4150 so I would need an adapter plate if I went with a Q-jet.

There's still the question of equal fuel/air charge reaching the cyls with the Q-jet. I don't believe the mixture would be an issue but maybe the rear cyls may be receiving more charge than the front cyls at WOT?

"I used to have a spec sheet that had the rods and jets that were used on a 502 application. If I can find it I will pass it along."
That would be great! Thx..

"If you stay Holley your best bet might be to try to find someone selling a pair of the HP500 Holley 800's. That would probably work well for your application. Merc used to build a blue racing version of the 454 that used the same heads, cam, intake, cam and exhaust as the HP500. "

That sounds like a good choice if I do wind up with Holleys.

"For simplicity I'd stick with the Holley base or maybe a BG.The problem with a lot of the alleged remain marine quadrajets is they aren't really marine carbs .They are modified automotive .A lot of remain "junk" out there in internet land. "

What is a BG? I know the marine versions have the fuel bowl vent dumping into the throat and the throttle shaft bushings have a tighter fit around the throttle shaft. Any other differences? You're right abt finding good carbs. That will take some digging.

"The Super Stock guys are running qjets up to about 900hp I highly doubt you will run out of fuel at 500 if you do it has to do with fuel delivery and not the carb. They made 750's and 800's the 800's are hard to find."

I had a 800cfm Q-jet on my old 67 GTO.. It was a great carb. Set it up once and be done with it. All my friends with their Holleys were constantly tinkering, fixing fuel leaks and never did get them to run right.
I've been through 3 power valves in one shortened season with my current set-up.

Last edited by zz28zz; 03-03-2014 at 11:30 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 01:51 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
"The Super Stock guys are running qjets up to about 900hp I highly doubt you will run out of fuel at 500 if you do it has to do with fuel delivery and not the carb. They made 750's and 800's the 800's are hard to find."

I had a 800cfm Q-jet on my old 67 GTO.. It was a great carb. Set it up once and be done with it. All my friends with their Holleys were constantly tinkering, fixing fuel leaks and never did get them to run right.
I've been through 3 power valves in one shortened season with my current set-up.
Super Stock Guys have many mods done to the inside of their Quadrajets.

Your buddies with the Holley's did not know what they are doing. Not being confrontational. Just stating facts.

Same reason why Quadrajets got a bad rap.....ie: from people that didn't know how to work on them.
Old 03-03-2014, 05:37 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
Super Stock Guys have many mods done to the inside of their Quadrajets.

Your buddies with the Holley's did not know what they are doing. Not being confrontational. Just stating facts.

Same reason why Quadrajets got a bad rap.....ie: from people that didn't know how to work on them.

No offense taken abt my buddies mechanical expertise, that was the funniest part..

The majority of the complaints I've heard abt Q-jets is that they fall a little short when it comes to WOT performance compared to Holleys, which seems to be true, but the Q-jet's idle quality and mid-throttle economy are far superior from what I've experienced.

To be fair, I haven't messed with a Holley in over 30 years (other than the 4011's which are close to being that old). I'm sure they have made some improvements since then.

Last edited by zz28zz; 03-03-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:23 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by zz28zz
No offense taken abt my buddies mechanical expertise, that was the funniest part..

The majority of the complaints I've heard abt Q-jets is that they fall a little short when it comes to WOT performance compared to Holleys, which seems to be true, but the Q-jet's idle quality and mid-throttle economy are far superior from what I've experienced.

To be fair, I haven't messed with a Holley in over 30 years (other than the 4011's which are close to being that old). I'm sure they have made some improvements since then.
I don't like the 4010/4011's (especially the later 2 piece one's) and the Spreadbore 3875's I think they where. But, that's probably because I didn't know what I was doing with them, even though I thought I did. LOL. Much easier on performance motors to use the 4150/4160 and of course King of all, the 4500's.
Old 03-03-2014, 08:26 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

"What is a BG? I know the marine versions have the fuel bowl vent dumping into the throat and the throttle shaft bushings have a tighter fit around the throttle shaft. Any other differences? You're right abt finding good carbs. That will take some digging."

BG= Barry Grant...Marine carbs are designed to overflow into motor ,not all over intake .I've been told different things about other differences but in reality, Not sure!...But if i'm bolting a carb on a boat motor ,I'm going to C.M.A. ,just in case. If I've done everything right and to abyc spec ,I have no apologies in any event

Last edited by motor; 03-03-2014 at 08:31 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:30 PM
Registered

Received 74 Likes on 40 Posts

thought Edelbrock made a nice spread bore carb with an easy tune 750-800cfm
Old 03-04-2014, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

There is an ad every month in the back of Chevy HiProformance mag selling spreadbore carbs. Maybe they could make a marine version.
Old 03-04-2014, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

500HP 454, I'd go with these

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-16704...arburetor.aspx
Old 03-04-2014, 12:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mild thunder

bingo!!
Old 03-04-2014, 02:29 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I'CE
thought Edelbrock made a nice spread bore carb with an easy tune 750-800cfm
Pretty sure the Eddy's are based on the old Carter AFB's. Center fuel bowl like the Q-jets. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong about this. Have not fooled with one first hand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.