Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Broken stud in EMI Thunder manifold / header?? >

Broken stud in EMI Thunder manifold / header??

Notices
View Poll Results: Machine Shop or Drill / EZOut
Machine Shop
66.67%
Drill and EZOut
33.33%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Broken stud in EMI Thunder manifold / header??

Old 03-03-2014, 12:16 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Broken stud in EMI Thunder manifold / header??

Ive got a set of EMI Thunder exhaust and one of the studs on top of the manifold to the riser broke off...

It is below the riser flange, and maybe level with the manifold flange...

What are my options for getting this out?? I hear BC the manifold is aluminum and the stud is stainless steel it can be easily damaged?

I figured my 2 options are:

1 - Remove manifold, bring to machine shop and pay them to remove stud and repair threads if needed
2 - Remove just the riser, grind the stud flat, punch a center punch in stud, very slowly drill small hole in stud, and then keep going slight bit larger till almost size of stud... then use an EZ Out?? But what kind of drill bits to use?? Also what are the best EZ Outs to use for this??

So im not sure with the success and details of drilling myself, but if its easily doable Id appreciate the info.... But if its too risky and I just should let a show with a drill press do it Id like to know before I screw something up, lol.

Thanks in advance!!
Chris
Old 03-03-2014, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It could be tricky my guess is since u are asking u mite not have much experience with this type thing. I would spend $50 and have it done at a machine shop. We do this all the time at our small shop. A carbide drill bit works best. Soak it with some pb blast and try to work it back and forth. Mite come out and mite not. The thing about a milling machine is u can control a drill bits path. With a hand drill it can go to the side and wipe out threads!!
One other thing to think about is that aluminum is bad about gaulding up on bolts. If it does start to come out by turning u mite ruin the threads by turning it out.

Last edited by So2fast5u; 03-03-2014 at 09:28 PM.
Old 03-03-2014, 09:26 PM
Registered

Ya, ive drilled out some SS rivets before... going real slow and constant oiling.... But rivets are a lot easier to keep centered.
And I wasnt sure how much itd cost, but for $50 ill just have it done! Lol Thx
Old 03-04-2014, 08:24 AM
Registered

Received 411 Likes on 247 Posts

I remove alot of broken bolts at my truck repair shop. One of the best methods that I have found for bolts that are broken flush with the piece or even up to 1/4" below the piece is to weld a nut to the broken bolt and back it out. I typically use 1 size larger nut(7/16 nut on a 3/8 bolt) centered over the broken bolt and weld right through the center of the nut, filling the threads completely. Let it cool for just a few seconds until the red glow disappears and then start working it back and forth. The heat generated from the welding is a great help in dislodging the bolt. I have used this method many times and is almost always effective.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:25 AM
Registered

Received 562 Likes on 231 Posts

Buy a reverse drill bit , They work wonders on drilling out broken bolts. Most of the time the the friction of the bit on the metal along with the heat created spins the bolt right out with out having to easy out.
Old 03-04-2014, 03:33 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by snapmorgan
I remove alot of broken bolts at my truck repair shop. One of the best methods that I have found for bolts that are broken flush with the piece or even up to 1/4" below the piece is to weld a nut to the broken bolt and back it out. I typically use 1 size larger nut(7/16 nut on a 3/8 bolt) centered over the broken bolt and weld right through the center of the nut, filling the threads completely. Let it cool for just a few seconds until the red glow disappears and then start working it back and forth. The heat generated from the welding is a great help in dislodging the bolt. I have used this method many times and is almost always effective.
Ya, I watched a youtube video on doing that, unfortunately I do not have a welder, so that eliminates that! Thanks for the suggestion tho!!

Originally Posted by tommymonza
Buy a reverse drill bit , They work wonders on drilling out broken bolts. Most of the time the the friction of the bit on the metal along with the heat created spins the bolt right out with out having to easy out.
Ive actually got some of those, but they are cheap harbor freight ones I wouldnt trust on SS... Ill see if I can borrow some from a friend
Old 03-04-2014, 09:07 PM
Registered

Take it to a machine shop, or anyone with a mill. Even a decent drill press is light years ahead of a hand drill.

When you go back in, use antiseize and proper torque.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdaniel525
Ive got a set of EMI Thunder exhaust and one of the studs on top of the manifold to the riser broke off...

It is below the riser flange, and maybe level with the manifold flange...

What are my options for getting this out?? I hear BC the manifold is aluminum and the stud is stainless steel it can be easily damaged?

I figured my 2 options are:

1 - Remove manifold, bring to machine shop and pay them to remove stud and repair threads if needed
2 - Remove just the riser, grind the stud flat, punch a center punch in stud, very slowly drill small hole in stud, and then keep going slight bit larger till almost size of stud... then use an EZ Out?? But what kind of drill bits to use?? Also what are the best EZ Outs to use for this??

So im not sure with the success and details of drilling myself, but if its easily doable Id appreciate the info.... But if its too risky and I just should let a show with a drill press do it Id like to know before I screw something up, lol.

Thanks in advance!!
Chris
GO rent a wire feed welder for like 20 bucks at a rental shop.!

Get a huge Nut (1/2 in or so) and put it on the manifold riser. Center it on the borken stud..

Then take a wire feed welder and fill the nut , Welding the stud to the nut. First get a little weld to stick to the stud then let her rip til the nut is full of weld.
Then Unscrew it. This will also make heat and that will make it unscrew real good omnce it cools.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:37 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You could also break a bolt in the head removing the manifold. You can usually tell if it's gonna break
Old 03-05-2014, 04:26 AM
Registered

Take it to a shop that has a MDM -metal disintegration machine. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbeKxFBZrF8

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.