differance between 365 and 420's >

differance between 365 and 420's

Notices

differance between 365 and 420's

Old 03-25-2014, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by glassdave
Actually a couple reasons. I'm pretty content with mid power engines and have a few rebuilds going at the moment with both 420's and 365's. I am rebuilding the 365's in my old ScarabIII and would like to add a few ponies using 420 spec cam and stuff, They are a very well kept pair that had a charmed life and i think they would respond well. I am also considering a pair of 420's as partial trade on the 600 Hawks i have listed in the swap. Just want to know whats in 'em and always wondered what the diffs were. Thanks all great info . . . .
The 365's woke up nicely with some upgrades.

Merc also made some HP450's for a short time. Those were hyd roller, same camshaft as the HP500 I believe, single plane dart intake, and holley 800 carb.

I'm not a ''ANTI" flat tappet guy, but I definitley think going to a modern hydraulic roller setup, really is money well spent. Not just from a power standpoint, but, you can gain idle quality, overall efficiency, increase the useable RPM range if desired, and so on.

I'd like to think with a properly spec'd, hydraulic roller, with the right intake/carb/exhaust, you could be well over the ''420'' hp range, without sacrificing idle quality, or valvetrain durability. If anything, it would improve all that.

I still think you should go thru those Hawk 600's, and run those in the Scarab!
Old 03-25-2014, 10:19 AM
Neno the mind boggler
VIP Member

Received 271 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Pismo10
Now what about the 575 that was introduced with the 420?
That was a completely different engine. I believe they are tall deck 540's (not to be confused with the 575SCI variant that was supercharged and FI)
08 OPA High Points Champion
10 OPA Class 1 National Champion ( happy now Ed! )