Notices

Mounting sea strainer

Old 03-26-2014, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Mounting sea strainer

Hello all

This is on a formula 252

I am a little concern when mounting the sea strainer. The best place I found to mount it on the area where the battery is mounted to the floor. I am using the Teague sea strainer with the floor mount bracket. Is ok to screw straight down.

Also can if possible can you guys show me where you mounted yours so can get some ideas

In case you have not notice I'm a first time boat owner

Thanks
Old 03-26-2014, 09:32 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You're better off mounting it to a stringer and through bolting if possible. The screws used to mount the battery are usually 1" or less long. I would avoid screwing it to the bottom of the boat if at all possible.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:57 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Priobe
Hello all

This is on a formula 252

I am a little concern when mounting the sea strainer. The best place I found to mount it on the area where the battery is mounted to the floor. I am using the Teague sea strainer with the floor mount bracket. Is ok to screw straight down.

Also can if possible can you guys show me where you mounted yours so can get some ideas

In case you have not notice I'm a first time boat owner

Thanks
You are talking about the floor and not the bottom of the hull?
Old 03-27-2014, 12:31 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[ATTACH=CONFIG]521047[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]521046[/ATTACH]Here is where I mounted mine & how I plumbed them. They work great, have not had any issues pulling water up to them & they are easy to inspect and or clean. I now have the correct color tops so that will be changed this year, Lol. Randy
Attached Thumbnails Mounting sea strainer-img_3651.jpg   Mounting sea strainer-img_3656.jpg  
Old 03-28-2014, 07:04 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

mount them so the lid is just above your waterline, that way you can clean them when the boat is in the water, and you can stick a hose in there to flush the motors even in the water.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 127 Likes on 74 Posts

Is it better to plumb them before (under vaccuum) or ofter the sea pump (under pressure)?
Old 03-28-2014, 01:05 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Gimme Fuel
Is it better to plumb them before (under vaccuum) or ofter the sea pump (under pressure)?
the purpose of a sea strainer is to prevent debris from getting into the pump and engine, so before.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:03 PM
Registered

Yes the area that I am looking to mount the strainer is on the floor where the battery is mounted not the hull floor.
Also, I was thinking of laying down some star board first the screwing the strainer to the starboard . I would secure the starboard to the floor with screws and silicone
Is this necessary?or over kill
Old 03-28-2014, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

as pstorti said. lids above waterline. MUST be above waterline. if below waterline and u hafta open them or one, water comes into boat. fast. but come to think of it, it is a real quick way to clean out the strainers...
Old 03-28-2014, 05:51 PM
Registered

Yea but if I install a ball valve can't I just close the valve?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.