Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
power to weight ratio >

power to weight ratio

Notices

power to weight ratio

Old 08-15-2002, 07:53 PM
wildbill

Default power to weight ratio

I am rigging a 4 x 8 sheet of marine grade plywood with a small block 350 with all the goodies.i am connecting the propshaft directly to the crankshaft.so I wont have reverse gear.does anyone think this is to much power to weight ratio??please let me know.I was boating for the past year with a 15 hp mercury outboard that was conected to my coffee table that I turned upside down.The marine police made me get rid of it cause they couldnt see my ct numbers.I think that it looked cool with the 4 legs stickin up in the air.It ran fast but was a pain gettin goin.I had to floor it and jump on or it would sink on me.I feel better with my new project.

Old 08-15-2002, 08:34 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good Luck, sounds like a great idea. Why didn't I think of that???
Old 08-15-2002, 08:56 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking power

sound good to me might need a little free board though would find some 2X6 should do
Old 08-15-2002, 09:45 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This was discussed before. Maybe someone here will remember the title to the thread.

What we came up with for the best power to weight ratio was a 4' x 8' sheet of marine plywood with two 2.5 Merc outboards. It wasnt real stable so Too Old came through with a bunch of 5 gallon pickle pails from Burger King that we put together with bailing wire and used as sponsons therefore having a true cat hull. Someone else came along with a dado blade and cut us some steps and we went faster still. This was all great until the plywood finally delaminated due to high hydrodynamic pressure.

Ron
Old 08-16-2002, 09:23 AM
ursus

4x8 sheet of 1/2 " foam skinned with 1/16" ply. If you curve the foam by placeing it over the bottom of a nice V hull then glue the ply skin on one side it will hold the shape. This will save you probably 10 lbs and allow you to play with dif hull configurations

also consider an aluminium block and aluminium heads of course

Old 08-16-2002, 10:03 AM
bmf

Smile

Old 08-16-2002, 05:57 PM
bajah2x105

Talking

WTF? I have worked for many years on the solution to your problem. I found that using 17 coats of Thompsons water seal with a wet sand of 2000 grit gave me about 17 mph. There was a chine walk problem thanks to the extra speed so I used a 1 gallon milk jug filled with sand. When she chined I just held the jug to my left or right to compesate for the walk. Another added benefit was the great abb workout from moving the jug left and right at lightning speeds. Man did I look good back then. I may have to build another one soon. Hey, there is a great sale going on at Home Depot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!