Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Throttle and shifter adjustment 1999 26zx? >

Throttle and shifter adjustment 1999 26zx?

Notices

Throttle and shifter adjustment 1999 26zx?

Old 04-07-2014, 12:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Throttle and shifter adjustment 1999 26zx?

Ok I got about 2 hours run time on my Donzi this weekend. This is my first performance boat so I have been going easy so far breaking in the engine and running about 1/2 throttle...... The shifter cable is very, very tight and uses a short throw handle..... Is there some kind of adjustment for this? Also, the throttle is tight as well and only moves about 2" from idle to full? It looks like the handle has a lot more available travel? This boat is new to me and I built the engine using an 850 mighty demon. I had a local boatyard install the engine and do the rigging etc ...... Any way to adjust this? Thanks..... TBF
Old 04-07-2014, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Take a look at the cable where it hooks to the carb linkage - sometimes there is more than one mounting point on the carb that will give you more travel. Did you switch to a Holley from some other type of carb, like a Carter or Q-jet?
Old 04-07-2014, 05:05 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Ayuh,.... Donno what ya got for Controls, but on many of 'em, there's different holes, for different throws,....
Old 04-07-2014, 08:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boat originally a 502 MPI and I built a stout Carbed 502.... I bought the boat with no engine so I put it together with a variety of parts.... I will check the linkage and see if there is any more mounting points.. Thanks...
Old 04-07-2014, 09:34 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

On many throttle/shifter controls, there are also multiple mounting spots where the cable can be connected. The lower the mounting, the more the throw.
It sounds like you might have some bad cables as well.