Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Retorque head studs after fixing leaks? >

Retorque head studs after fixing leaks?

Notices

Retorque head studs after fixing leaks?

Old 04-08-2014, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Retorque head studs after fixing leaks?

Some of you may have seen my questions / problems that were posted over on ICDEDPPL's thread on the "Boating on a Budget" forum about his dyno results. Never intended to run off on a tangent, but the gist of it was that I was pressure checking my block with head studs to check for leaks, and had several studs leaking air up through the threads. I pulled the head and fixed the leaks, and torqued the studs to the recommended numbers. My question is whether or not I need to back the nuts off 1/4 turn and then retorque each nut to the recommended setting. I did this the first time because I have seen it recommended to let it sit for a few hours and then follow this procedure.

Engine is a Gen VI 454 block with AFR aluminum heads and ARP studs.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 4,260 Likes on 1,227 Posts

If anything you wanna retorque after a heat cycle.. seems like a waste to do it after a few hours just sitting.
Old 04-08-2014, 03:29 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I have found it to be pretty tough to retorque after a heat cycle, especially since some of the head bolts are not accessible without removing rocker arms, headers, etc. I recall that retorquing some time after heads are installed allows for the gaskets and studs to "take a set" or something along those lines.
Old 04-08-2014, 04:14 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Couldn't hurt,
Old 04-08-2014, 04:36 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Either way u will b fine. I've done them every which way never had an issue. Ive even been in a pinch with no torque wrench and made the bolts tight by feel that was 4 years ago and the boat is on the water every weekend...
Old 04-08-2014, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would torque them, let sit few mins, back off 1/4 turn and re-torque, that what we do on out turbo LSX drag radial car running 25+psi boost
Old 04-08-2014, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

The only thing retorquing them will do is burnish the threads for a clean full clamping force of the torque. I've done this several times on diesels. Retorque hot, cold after several miles etc. if you torque them down, back them off and torque again, do that process 3 times, you can go over them a year later and your torque wrench will not move at all. Done it more than once on diesel head studs that require 180 ft lbs.
Btw, that whole process is completely unnecessary on a n/a 700hp or less engine. Not enough cylinder pressure to over come the clamping force of studs in a bbc torqued in sequence.
Old 04-08-2014, 05:44 PM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

I talked to ARP when I installed my head studs and they said to seat the threads by torqueing and loosing a few times before final assy.Also you did put the studs in only finger tight ?
Old 04-08-2014, 05:45 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What head gaskets are you using? Did you use ARP assembly lube on the threads and washers under the nuts?
Old 04-08-2014, 07:03 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lil red
The only thing retorquing them will do is burnish the threads for a clean full clamping force of the torque. I've done this several times on diesels. Retorque hot, cold after several miles etc. if you torque them down, back them off and torque again, do that process 3 times, you can go over them a year later and your torque wrench will not move at all. Done it more than once on diesel head studs that require 180 ft lbs.
Btw, that whole process is completely unnecessary on a n/a 700hp or less engine. Not enough cylinder pressure to over come the clamping force of studs in a bbc torqued in sequence.

Do you still torque them 3 times when the spec is 330 ft. Lbs? Cause ill tell you what after one pass using a 5 ft pipe I'm about ready to fall out and I'll be damned if I'm gonna attempt a 2nd pass.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.