Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Powere Steering removal extra 10-15HP ???? >

Powere Steering removal extra 10-15HP ????

Notices

Powere Steering removal extra 10-15HP ????

Old 08-16-2002, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Powere Steering removal extra 10-15HP ????

Hi,

I have a 1990 454 Magnum with power steering. A mechanic suggested to disconnet the power steering pump which will give me 10-15 HP. He suggested to see what it feels like, disconnect the pin for the hydraulic steering, so with no power I have straight steering. WOuld appreciate any thoughts comments or suggestions.

P.S. He also mentioned I could run a smaller alternator pulley, same question, any thoughts or comments.

Thanks for you input in advancePower Steering Removal?? Extra 10-15HP??
Old 08-16-2002, 05:20 PM
speel chekk this fokker!
Charter Member

power sterring is one of those thigns i think you should keep even if it costs you 1 mph.
Old 08-16-2002, 05:41 PM
bajah2x105

Thumbs down

2slow, I feel your need for speed but to sacrifice power steering on a boat for 1mph would not be a good move. After reading some of the posts on the latest boating accidents, it seems that every little thing that we can do to be safe should be taken advantage of. Personally my quick steering helped me avoid a crazy kid on a jet ski last year. I missed him by inches thanks to a quick responce. Just some food for thought brother! Take care.

Old 08-16-2002, 06:53 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

HELLO,,,, NO Power Steering for 1 MPH !!!!!! HMMMM I think not !!!!!!
Old 08-16-2002, 07:04 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Absolutely not!!!! 10-15 HP wont even register on your speedo.
Old 08-16-2002, 07:05 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

HELL NO- NOT A CHANCE-AINT GONNA HAPPEN-NO WAY

Tryin to be subtle here...........
Old 08-16-2002, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

you want to pick up that same hp? Look at a crossover cooling system and get rid of the raw water pump, same thing but one heck of a lot safer.

Taking out the power steering is nuts and depending on what you speed is now you may need to consider adding hydraulic steering.

Oh, and I'd get a new mechanic
Old 08-16-2002, 09:01 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I blew a power steering line on my old boat (22 Scarab). I made it back to the dock but my arms were sore for a couple of days afterwards. The wheel was really hard to hold when getting on plane. Once you were on plane it was not that bad but still pulled. When getting on plane if you had to turn the wheel while you were comming up it was almost impossible. The stock steering cable wont take this abuse for long. It would surely break.

Ron
Old 08-16-2002, 10:23 PM
Gone Fishin'
Charter Member

Don't even think about it!!!!! It will take two of you to get on plane!!! I did the same thing rjcardinal did, lost the belt. Spun out!!!! You cannot believe the steering torque the prop will put into your steering wheel. You think front drive cars have steering torque?? Not even close. For one mph I wound't even think once about it. And the crossover/waterpump removal trick will not register on your speedo either. Did that a few years back on a 475 hp motor. Did not see even a half mile an hour difference on GPS. On my new motor I am running the pump. Merc runs them on the 500 hp too. They spin pretty easy and you will not see any benifit from the little bit of hp you will get by removing it. Wasted money and time if you ask me. And if you're running a serpentine belt, it makes it even harder to remove the pump.

Of course all this is just my .02 (or maybe .03)
Old 08-16-2002, 11:49 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

To lessen the HP drag caused by the alternater you need to increase the pulley size not decrease it. The larger pulley won't turn as fast thus less HP loss.

Quick Reply: Powere Steering removal extra 10-15HP ????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.