Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Silent Choice won't open >

Silent Choice won't open

Notices

Silent Choice won't open

Old 04-17-2014, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think you should at least take them out and have them load tested. You may need new ones. Not sure how old your batteries are, but most batteries are good for around 3 years, especially in boats, cause they are not constantly being charged.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:51 AM
Registered

Mine would not work even while running because I had a dead cell in one of my batteries, put new batteries in and everything works perfectly. Suggest you have them tested.
Old 04-17-2014, 09:53 AM
Registered

I just got the information from Corsa, very detailed on diagram's and solenoid testing procedure. I appreciate all the input.

Greg
Old 04-17-2014, 01:20 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MILLERIME
I just got the information from Corsa, very detailed on diagram's and solenoid testing procedure. I appreciate all the input.

Greg
Scan it, up load it to photobucket or post it here. Might help another member out some day with trouble shooting their system
Old 04-17-2014, 01:23 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 92nsx
Scan it, up load it to photobucket or post it here. Might help another member out some day with trouble shooting their system
YES please post this information -- most likely will be a HUGE help someday

Thank you

3pointstar
Old 04-17-2014, 02:36 PM
Registered

I don't have a photo bucket. I did cut and paste one file that was in the correct format and posted the trouble shooting procedure. If someone else has a photo bucket or can post easily to this site shoot me an email and I will send you the other three files. [email protected]

Greg

Electronic File is Controlled Copy
Paper Copy is Reference Only ENG WI 005 12/09/2004 Rev A
Testing Procedure for Four-Wire Solenoid Wiring Harness (White Connector)
Make sure that the ground connection and 12 volt Positive connections are clean and
free of corrosion. Due to the high current draw of the system, any terminal that does
not make a complete contact may cause a failure condition.
Switch at helm should be checked to make sure that 12V positive is going to and coming
out of the switch with the switch in the "on" position.
Disconnect the solenoids from the harness at their respective quick disconnects.
Check for any corrosion at these terminals, clean and retry harness operation if
corrosion is found. Terminal plugs should be locked in place to the connector and
should not come out. If terminals come out of the connector easily, it may not be
making good contact with its mating terminal.
Place a test light or volt meter probe into the red and black wire terminals in the quick
disconnect connector. With power supplied to the harness and the helm switch in the
on position, current will flow between the red and black wires at 12V minimum.
Place the test light or volt meter probes into the green and white wire terminals. Have
an assistant turn the switch to the "on" position. For a brief period of time, current
will flow between the green and the white wires. After that time the circuit will be opened
by a timer in the harness.
If harness fails to operate properly in any of the test procedures; contact Corsa
Performance for possible replacement.
Testing Procedure for Three-Wire Solenoid Wiring Harness (Black Connector)
Make sure that the ground connection and 12 volt Positive connections are clean and
free of corrosion. Due to the high current draw of the system, any terminal that does
not make a complete contact may cause a failure condition.
Switch at helm should be checked to make sure that 12V positive is going to and coming
out of the switch with the switch in the "on" position.
Disconnect the solenoids from the harness at their respective quick disconnects.
Check for any corrosion at these terminals, clean and retry harness operation if
corrosion is found. Terminal plugs should be locked in place to the connector and
should not come out. If terminals come out of the connector easily, it may not be
making good contact with its mating terminal.
Place a test light or volt meter probe into the white and black wire terminals in the quick
disconnect connector. With power supplied to the harness, current will flow between the
white and black wires continuously at 12V minimum.
Place the test light or volt meter probe into the red and black wire terminals in the quick
disconnect connector. With power supplied to the harness and the helm switch in the
on position, current will flow between the red and black wires at 12V minimum.
If harness fails to operate properly in any of the test procedures; contact Corsa
Performance for possible replacement.
Old 04-19-2014, 01:27 PM
Registered

So we are back in the game. Clean all electrical connections and sprayed all the moving parts with white lithium grease.