Help, Motor won't start. Merc 454 Mag EFI >

Help, Motor won't start. Merc 454 Mag EFI

Notices

Help, Motor won't start. Merc 454 Mag EFI

Old 05-04-2014, 05:23 PM
Registered

Received 105 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by dmaxximus
Well thanks everyone but nothing has worked and I'm stumped. Couldn't find the elec fuel pump on either side unless it's the box mounted on top w the fuel lines running in and out. No fuses anywhere to check really and no breakers popped.
Guess it's time to take to a Merc Tec and BOAT for a simple fuse or wire fix. Ugghhhh
The fuel pump is inside that odd shaped box held together with about 6 philips screws. If you open that up be careful as the o-ring for the ld will quickly lose its shape. Pull the leads going into the box and see if you have voltage to the pump first.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:26 PM
Registered

Received 105 Likes on 51 Posts

Or just pay a Merc tech to scan for trouble codes. Will save a lot of guessing which is what we are all doing trying to help you. We've all been there. Good luck
Old 05-04-2014, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Time to find a merc manual online #16 and start thru the flow charts. It is a royal pain but will work to get u going again. The merc tech will guess and trial and error until he stumbles onto something. The flow charts will nail it down.
Old 05-04-2014, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Unfortunately when attempting to repair problems like this, you need a test light or multimeter. A fuel psi gauge to mount in the fuel rail is also handy. These are tools available at any auto parts store. I know everyone wants that simple fix of it being "just a fuse" or a "tripped breaker" , but sometimes it ain't that easy.

If your willing to attempt to diagnose the problem step by step with a few tools, I think your problem can be found. Or, like you said , just bring it in to the dealer and let them work the test light, meters, etc and give ya the bill. Sometimes it's better letting someone else track down the problem . A good tech might find your issue in an hour, where you might have days and days trying to figure it out.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes a good tech might find it in an hour but a normal tech might takes three days and are highly incentivized to do so. Techs also love to guess and swap parts until the stumble upon something. Must be this, must be that. The flow charts will take you right to the problem, no guessing.
Old 05-04-2014, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

I have used a volt meter the entire time from checking the starter to key switch. Everything I have tested has 12.5-13 Volts. So I'm left to believe the fuel is not getting past the injectors which is why was looking for any additional fuses or breakers that maybe I missed. Again thanks everyone. I feel like I have chased every wire on the ignition and fuel delivery wiring diagram. Good experience and learned a lot but maybe a little beyond my technical reach. Not to mention I hate wiring haha
Old 05-04-2014, 08:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bilgerat
its not the ignition switch, if it cranks ( sending power down the yellow/red wire ) and if you have spark at the motor ( its sending power down the purple wire ) first thing i would look at is to be sure you have a good connection at the "cannon plug" the big connector for the main harness to the motor. These sometimes get bumped cleaning, winterizing, etc. And are commonplace problems for supposed bad connections. Then if i follow everything else you have said, you have cranking, spark, and you think you have fuel ? It would run, but the question is back to that fuel situation.
Check the cannon plug.
x2
Old 05-04-2014, 10:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dmaxximus
I have used a volt meter the entire time from checking the starter to key switch. Everything I have tested has 12.5-13 Volts. So I'm left to believe the fuel is not getting past the injectors which is why was looking for any additional fuses or breakers that maybe I missed. Again thanks everyone. I feel like I have chased every wire on the ignition and fuel delivery wiring diagram. Good experience and learned a lot but maybe a little beyond my technical reach. Not to mention I hate wiring haha
open up yjr blavk metal box where the ecm is at,its about 8''x3'' once open their are 2 fuse leads in their,one is for the ecm and the other is for the fuel pump..might have a blown fuse in their or one of the releys are bad..
Old 05-04-2014, 11:19 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

All great advice.

If you cranked a bunch of times, yes, your plugs would smell like fuel.

Air/fuel/spark. You have air and spark.
Old 05-05-2014, 07:27 AM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Spray starting fluid in the arrestor while cranking. One time...at band camp, I changed my water separators and one motor would not start until I helped it along with starter fluid.

Last edited by Baja_342; 05-05-2014 at 07:31 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.