Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Anyone had oil starvation issues running screens in the lifter valley? >

Anyone had oil starvation issues running screens in the lifter valley?

Notices

Anyone had oil starvation issues running screens in the lifter valley?

Old 05-08-2014, 09:42 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
What is the best way to remove the screens if they are glued in with JB Weld? This is going to be fun, I have a feeling. Fawk!!
at this point i would leave the epoxy and cut the screen from it.if you try to remove the epoxy it will make a mess that will end up in the pan.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:51 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
at this point i would leave the epoxy and cut the screen from it.if you try to remove the epoxy it will make a mess that will end up in the pan.
That's what I was thinking. Sharp box cutter should get through it. Might put some tape over it to make sure no little fragments can fall down onto the cam. Other option would be to heat the JB Weld to remove it, but I think you need to use a plumbers torch to get it hot enough, and not sure if I want to do that with the engine already together.

Wondering if we need to add something about the screens to ArcticFriends' sticky post about oil systems.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:02 AM
Registered

budman,the restriction in the heads plus additional restriction from screene in lifter valley is a bad thing imo.their is a reason we buy large capacity oil pans!i once had an engine come my way that spun some bearings.it had a 6 qt pan with valley screene installed by the builder who blamed it on the oil pump.no oil pump in the world can supply oil if the pickup is in air instead of oil.when we select what parts we use in our marine engines the most important parts are the oiling system.an engine that makes 1000 hp is useless in a offshore application if it cant maintain oil pressure after 45 seconds of wot.im not sure how you plan to run your new engine once it gets installed in your boat but if you built it to run hard,loose the screen.
Hey Mike, thanks for the reply. I guess the point I was making is whether the screens will really be the biggest potential for an oil problem. Most of the oil that gets to the top end will be coming out of the holes on the rockers, right? It then needs to get through four little half-inch drain holes in the corners of the heads and possibly through the spaces where the pushrods pass through. I have not heard of anyone enlarging the drain holes on AFR heads due to an issue with this. Even if the screens were out of there, I still have this restriction.

FWIW, I noticed the oil holes in the sides of my Morel lifters are considerably smaller than the ones in a friend's older set of Morel's. My guess is that they are designed to restrict oil flow to the top end. Any experience with this?

Boat will be a pleasure boat, not a poker runner, but at beer-thirty, all bets are off.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:13 PM
Registered

budman,you would be suprised at how much oil passes through the lifters&pushrods.it is a lot easier for it to pass the holes in the heads compared to screen in the valley.how many qts does your oil pan hold?
Old 05-08-2014, 09:13 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

I NEVER build ANY performance engine without using oil screens, when we raced local circle track there were pushrods ended up wrapped around the crankshaft or some part somewhere it didnt belong. I run my 540 at 6200 for minutes on end, never presented a problem BUT I have a 14 qt offshore race pan and run 12 qts of oil in it, fwiw, Smitty
Old 05-09-2014, 04:45 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

For what it's worth, my apba supercat 509 engine has screens in the valley.

The engine is a dry sump oiling system engine and it may be that the vacuum from the scavaging in the pan helps to pull the oil through the screens (no valley scavaging port)

The engine was built by sterling and maintaned by ilmor. Guessing they have a good bit of experience of what works and what does not.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:31 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
Hey Mike, thanks for the reply. I guess the point I was making is whether the screens will really be the biggest potential for an oil problem. Most of the oil that gets to the top end will be coming out of the holes on the rockers, right? It then needs to get through four little half-inch drain holes in the corners of the heads and possibly through the spaces where the pushrods pass through. I have not heard of anyone enlarging the drain holes on AFR heads due to an issue with this. Even if the screens were out of there, I still have this restriction.

FWIW, I noticed the oil holes in the sides of my Morel lifters are considerably smaller than the ones in a friend's older set of Morel's. My guess is that they are designed to restrict oil flow to the top end. Any experience with this?

Boat will be a pleasure boat, not a poker runner, but at beer-thirty, all bets are off.
Eddie enlarged the drain holes in my AFR's.
Old 05-09-2014, 05:56 AM
Registered

budman,you would be suprised at how much oil passes through the lifters&pushrods.it is a lot easier for it to pass the holes in the heads compared to screen in the valley.how many qts does your oil pan hold?
Eight quart pan with stock pickup.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:53 AM
Registered

you are going to get different opinions.i would never run a screen with a 8 qt pan,10 maybe 12 and id feel better.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:58 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
For what it's worth, my apba supercat 509 engine has screens in the valley.

The engine is a dry sump oiling system engine and it may be that the vacuum from the scavaging in the pan helps to pull the oil through the screens (no valley scavaging port)

The engine was built by sterling and maintaned by ilmor. Guessing they have a good bit of experience of what works and what does not.
totally different ballgame with a dry sump deal as the crankcase is in vacuum so it is sucking the oil through the screen.a wet sump deal will have some pressure in the crankcase and that slows down the affects of gravity.i would run the screen in a dry sump deal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.