What makes a "fast hull"

Notices

What makes a "fast hull"

Old 05-16-2014, 07:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by BenPerfected
You would have to go to a pro to help you with this project. Go to someone like Glassdave and you can expect something like $3000-8000++ range for bottom blueprinting. After the bottom is been blueprinted (close to perfectly flat) expect to spend more $ as your speed increases due hull efficiency, drive height, props, + HP, etc. The increased speed will require more strake changes to maximize the hull efficiency....more bottom work and back to Glassdave! Want a lower cost?..sell your boat as is and buy a boat that meets your speed needs. The polish to perfection approach has no monetary return....ask me how I know
Sage advice!
Old 05-16-2014, 10:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All good but I think the op only wanted to know what makes a particular hull faster than another.
Endless variables it seems to be, and a really good question.!
Old 05-17-2014, 09:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Too Stroked
An "excellent bottom" means a great combination of lift, deadrise, angle of entry, number and placement of lifting strakes, weight, center of balance, construction, etc. There's no absolutely perfect combination, but the original George Linder 21' Challengers had almost the perfect combination. (That's why so many companies splashed the hull.) And some folks who modified the hull so it didn't look like a blatant copy found out that small changes sometimes ruined that perfect combination.
Sounds like some interesting info, I'll have to read up on the Challengers
Old 05-17-2014, 05:02 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 21 superboat with a mildly built up 502,bravo 1. Running a mirage 27p. Best speed 87.1
Old 05-17-2014, 05:47 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,107 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Hp vs load. Most of a boats load = weight and water drag.

Your Lib is heavy and even at 60, a lot of it is still in the water. It's a wave crusher not a wave top rider.

Try to find a video of a 21' Velocity going 60 or higher. Riding on the pad there is near nothing in the water. Also becase it is light !