carbed 454 mag will not idle >

carbed 454 mag will not idle

Notices

carbed 454 mag will not idle

Old 05-18-2014, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default carbed 454 mag will not idle

Changed the ignition and checked everything. It seems really lean even with the idle mixture screws turned out. All the plus are dry and it will not idle at all
Old 05-18-2014, 08:50 PM
Registered

Carb is a 800 holley with an edelbrock single plane intake. Just swapped over to a roller cam.
Old 05-18-2014, 09:03 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Valves/rockers adjusted too tight will cause that.

Ignition timing being way off will cause it.
Old 05-19-2014, 12:31 AM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

Could be dirty carb also
Old 05-19-2014, 02:11 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I bet you slipped an intake gasket and you're sucking air from the crankcase.
Old 05-19-2014, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

start with the basics,make sure the timing is set correctly and also check the float levels.
Old 05-20-2014, 05:53 PM
Registered

Griff you were right. We set the lash at a 1/2 turn and had to back it off to zero and it ran good. Does anybody know what the spec is on ISKY hydraulic tie bar rollers?
Old 05-20-2014, 06:02 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Mohawk242
Griff you were right. We set the lash at a 1/2 turn and had to back it off to zero and it ran good. Does anybody know what the spec is on ISKY hydraulic tie bar rollers?
It should have been fine at 1/2 turn past 0 lash. I have a feeling your valve adjustment procedure might have been done incorrectly.

I see you converted to hydraulic roller. You are using an adjustable valvetrain setup now with polylocks correct?

When adjusting the valves, you must be sure the plunger isnt collapsed in the lifter. What I do, is rotate the engine until the #1 Exhaust valve begins to open, then I adjust the #1 Intake valve. Then, rotate again, until the #1 intake opens fully, and is almost closed, I do the #1 exhaust valve.

The carb needs vacuum to draw fuel from the idle circuit. Cant create vacuum, if the valves are hanging open from being adjusted to tight. A true 1/2 turn from 0 lash, with the lifter on the heel of the cam, SHOULD NOT cause the valves to hang open. Something else is going on.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:20 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I know Maine is a big state, but gotta' ask because I may be able to help if you have time, how close are you to Lake Winni in NH ?

====================

Besides that, everyone above is correct.

With todays schit (ethanol fuel) it's very likely you have some crap in a fuel circuit. Also, very likely some dust even can plug an air bleed at top of the venturis in a Holley. Normal maintenance is to point red plastic nozzle right at/touching each air bleed with the mixture screw out of carb. Spray in air bleed, then spray in mixture screw hole, then do it back and forth a handul of times. Watch your eyes ! That idle bleed hole is pointed right at them and carb cleaner hurts bad for a few !

One thing missing, is on the subject of a Single Plane intake manifold.

#1: it likes more initial timing. The intake stays cool #1, and #2 reduced signal to carb, and #3 cross talk between cylinders during overlap.

#2: Carb idle circuit needs to be richer for same reasons as above.
Old 05-20-2014, 07:26 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
It should have been fine at 1/2 turn past 0 lash. I have a feeling your valve adjustment procedure might have been done incorrectly.
Furthermore, most lifters are totally fine up to a full turn.

I do it as MT does it with the finger spin technique to know when at 0 lash.

Just thought of something, speaking of which, whick f*ks up a lot of people.

When you adjust a valve with a hydraulic, count it done. Do not come back to it once tightened !

Why ? The lifter may collapse a little and when when you recheck it the pushrod will spin freely,,,so,,, you think you didn't do it right so you adjust down more. This is bad ! The lifter collapsing fooled you into thinking you didn't turn it down enough. You finally fire the engine and , yup, they pump up and your valves aren't closing fully and wallah, it runs like dogschit.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.