Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
O2 sensor without  drilling and welding Lightning headers >

O2 sensor without drilling and welding Lightning headers

Notices

O2 sensor without drilling and welding Lightning headers

Old 05-19-2014, 05:03 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Looks like it might work to me. The trick would be to make sure it stays in place securely while testing it. I would consider putting the pipe in place first without the O2 sensor installed and check to see if you are getting any water along with the exhaust stream. You might be able to do this with some wadded up paper towel taped into the bung opening. This might be preferable to risk ruining an expensive O2 sensor.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Took some measurements.

From my exhaust tip forward to where water is introduced is 21 1/2".

From my exhaust tip to the very front of the collector is 30 1/2".

Im guessing I would want to stick my sniffer in 28"

If it still is getting wet at that point I could stick it in 34" which would put it 3 1/2" into one of the header tubes and read each cylinder 1 at a time !!
Old 05-19-2014, 05:09 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Budman II
Looks like it might work to me. The trick would be to make sure it stays in place securely while testing it. I would consider putting the pipe in place first without the O2 sensor installed and check to see if you are getting any water along with the exhaust stream. You might be able to do this with some wadded up paper towel taped into the bung opening. This might be preferable to risk ruining an expensive O2 sensor.
Great idea!
Old 05-19-2014, 05:29 PM
Registered

Received 4,235 Likes on 1,216 Posts

I had bungs in my lightnings , got em from the previous owner.. no issues 4 years later.
I have bungs in my Stellings no issues. I like having permanent AFR gauges. Thats info I wanna know all the time.
I think Lightning is wrong.
Old 05-19-2014, 05:33 PM
Registered

Received 4,235 Likes on 1,216 Posts

Originally Posted by hadleycat
Took some measurements.

From my exhaust tip forward to where water is introduced is 21 1/2".

From my exhaust tip to the very front of the collector is 30 1/2".

Im guessing I would want to stick my sniffer in 28"

If it still is getting wet at that point I could stick it in 34" which would put it 3 1/2" into one of the header tubes and read each cylinder 1 at a time !!

So 2.5 " inches in front of your collector and 7" from where the water comes in? Thats close to your collector and close to your water source.. mine would be soaking wet.
Old 05-19-2014, 06:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I called Lightning this morning about welding a bung in my headers. They said not to do it because welding on the headers will compromise the coating inside the tubing and shorten their lifespan. I came up with an idea of mounting the sensor in a tube approximately 24" long with the wirng running inside the tube. Then remove my flappers and stick the tube inside the exhaust coming in thru the tips at the back of the boat. Then clamp in place and run. Does this sound reasonable?
wont work,,had the idea and did it about 5 yrs ago..the tube gets too hot at the base of the o2 sensor and it melts and shorts out the o2 sensorwires,went through a few o2 and that was a expensive idea..i spent 10 k on a mobile 5 gas with afr ..that is the only way to get a accurate reading doing it this way..
Old 05-19-2014, 09:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by FIXX
wont work,,had the idea and did it about 5 yrs ago..the tube gets too hot at the base of the o2 sensor and it melts and shorts out the o2 sensorwires,went through a few o2 and that was a expensive idea..i spent 10 k on a mobile 5 gas with afr ..that is the only way to get a accurate reading doing it this way..
Fixx, did you have the sensor outside the exhaust pipe, or did you actually locate the sensor up inside of the exhaust? I thought he meant the latter when I first read this, now I realize that he is simply trying to channel the exhaust through the pipe to the outside of the tip, where the sensor would actually be located. I can't see how this would be any hotter than having the sensor screwed into a bung in the exhaust, especially with water mixing around the outside of the tube.

Am I on the right track with this, hadley, or am I off base? Are you talking about something like this?

Old 05-19-2014, 09:34 PM
Registered

That's an interesting idea - you could certainly tell if you had one cylinder running leaner than the rest that way. That is something that I always wondered about using a wideband O2 on each tailpipe.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:09 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Budman II
Fixx, did you have the sensor outside the exhaust pipe, or did you actually locate the sensor up inside of the exhaust? I thought he meant the latter when I first read this, now I realize that he is simply trying to channel the exhaust through the pipe to the outside of the tip, where the sensor would actually be located. I can't see how this would be any hotter than having the sensor screwed into a bung in the exhaust, especially with water mixing around the outside of the tube.

Am I on the right track with this, hadley, or am I off base? Are you talking about something like this?

In my first post I was thinking of placing the sensor up inside the exhaust. But the more I thought about it I figured I could place it in the back end of the tube and outside of my 4" exhaust. and channel the gasses thru the pipe.
Old 05-20-2014, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that would be better known as pissing in the wind....it would get killed within mins...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.