7.4l 330 hp needs a new carb what do you guys suggest

Notices

7.4l 330 hp needs a new carb what do you guys suggest

Old 05-20-2014, 12:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 7.4l 330 hp needs a new carb what do you guys suggest

Hey guys

so i got a 1994 baja islander with the 7.4l (454) 330 hp engine with the bravo 1. i also have captins choise exhaust on it as well. i was out this weekend and the carb has a few issues with wore out parts......Long story short i am just going to put a new carb on (plus i just want to). what do you guys suggest? Now i also have just "came" across a set of 049 heads that were rebuilt but have been sitting for awhile. I my train of thinking is that if i do the carb how about a new intake and if i am doing a intake why not throw the heads on and if i have the heads off why not throw in a cam as well. i know this a a cast engine and should not be reved past 5k and its not worth spending money on and that i should just buy something better but i cannot leave this alone and don't have time to do a full engine swap. I don't mind used parts and want to spend around 2k if it blows then it blows. what do you guys think? Any suggestions on the heads,cam,intake,carb? sorry for the long a$$ post with a few to many questions. Also i live around 3500 feet if that makes a diffrents

Thanks for the time Ryan

Last edited by demax990; 05-20-2014 at 12:32 AM.
Old 05-20-2014, 01:33 PM
Registered

100 views no suggestions
Old 05-20-2014, 02:08 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ryan, a lot of OSO members were in your position at one time, including myself. All I can tell you is that it is a very slippery slope. Once you dive into this thing you can easily find yourself dropping $8K - $10K into it. I call it the "might as well syndrome". If I'm going to get a new carb, might as well get a new intake for it too. Well, might as well install those better flowing heads too. Oh yeah, in order to take advantage of the heads, might as well install a more aggressive cam too. Oops, my stock exhaust won't work with that nasty cam, time for some headers or performance manifolds. Cha-ching! You can get there before you know it.

A lighter boat will respond to minor increases in power more readily than something big and heavy, but you are still going to be hard pressed to realize any major gains without also spending some coin on some decent exhaust. The 049 heads can be made to flow pretty well with the installation of the larger valves and some work in the valve bowl areas, but here comes that "might as well sydrome" again!

How do you plan to use the boat? Balls out WFO throttle runs all the time, or just cruising around the lake and slinging the kids on a tube? If the latter, there is a lot to be said for leaving it stock, putting the hatch down, drinking a cold beverage, and enjoying the boat for what it is.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:10 PM
Registered

What kind of carb is on it now - Q-jet or Weber? Once set up properly on a relatively stock 7.4L, the Q-jets are pretty much trouble-free and bullet proof. If you just have to have a new carb, a smaller Holley in the 750cfm range would be appropriate. Best to find the marine version to make sure you are USCG (and insurance) compliant.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:13 PM
Registered

How much does the guy want for the heads, and what kind of work do they need? The 049's have at least 119cc chambers. A good set of 820 casting heads would get you some more compression with their 114cc (I think) chambers.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:34 PM
Registered

Thanks Budman, I do believe that the carb is a weber it is def not a q-jet. maybe I will put a new carb on and a new intake to match it. what do you guys like to use for carbs? demon? holley? and how about intake
Old 05-20-2014, 02:38 PM
Registered

I have a 715cfm Holley marine carb that would probably be appropriately sized for your setup, but it needs a rebuild. I can pull it off the shelf and look at it and see what kind of work it needs if you are at all interested. It might not need anything more than a basic rebuild kit with new gaskets, which I can handle easily.
Old 05-21-2014, 09:06 AM
Registered

I had the same boat and I put a 1410 Edelbrock run great, I even picked up a mph or 2!
Old 05-21-2014, 12:53 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Carburetor Shop in Ontario California is a great place to get your carb rebuilt.
If you want to go faster it might make more sense to find another boat that
performs to your satisfaction. I chased 5 m.p.h. in another boat with twin SBC
in the past. As BORGIE stated above, EXPENSIVE! This time I picked a top speed
that was more than enough to satisfy and shopped for a boat that performed at that level.
Old 05-22-2014, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 179 Likes on 88 Posts

My machinist has a sign about offshore boats:
60-70 mph=$1000 per mile an hour.
70-80 mph=$2000 per mile an hour.
80-90 mph=$3000 per mile an hour.
90+ mph= open your wallet and don't *****!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.