Fuel pressure on carb 454 >

Fuel pressure on carb 454

Notices

Fuel pressure on carb 454

Old 05-21-2014, 01:26 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel pressure on carb 454

I know this has been ask before sry for asking again. I was needing some information on fuel pressure reading. My setup is Holley Blue pump and regulator no return I set pressure to 7 psi. I took boat out and after a while pressure drop to 3.5 psi. I brought boat back home after a few hour I went out to mess with it and pressure was back up to 7 psi. Any idea what causes this? Any information would be helpful thanks. Also fuel pump is wire on a toggle switch with a and fues relay not on ignition switch.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:55 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The pump is burnt up. Where do you have it mounted?
Old 05-21-2014, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

dont know how old the pump is but the quality of those pumps is not so great.
Old 05-21-2014, 03:03 PM
Registered

It was a brand new fuel pump and regulator first time out with it. it mounted in the engine compartment against the back seat about a foot or two away from the engine.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:06 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

As I understand it, most electric pumps are designed to push fuel rather than pull it. So you need to mount the pump as low as possible so that it can develop a good siphon from the tank pickup. It is not going to be able to suck the fuel out of the tank to a level very much above the level of the tank. I have mine mounted on the stringer right in front of the engine - it is the lowest point I could mount it. You may have burned up the pump by not allowing it to get a good prime. It's also possible that it is just cavitating from being mounted so high. Try a lower location and see if that helps.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:13 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

As mentioned, may be mounted to high. Inadequate power supply or ground. Lack of tank venting. Make sure there is a good filter before the pump too.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:29 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Originally Posted by Jfoster
I know this has been ask before sry for asking again. I was needing some information on fuel pressure reading. My setup is Holley Blue pump and regulator no return I set pressure to 7 psi. I took boat out and after a while pressure drop to 3.5 psi. I brought boat back home after a few hour I went out to mess with it and pressure was back up to 7 psi. Any idea what causes this? Any information would be helpful thanks. Also fuel pump is wire on a toggle switch with a and fues relay not on ignition switch.
If you have a liquid filled fuel pressure guage on the engine somewhere, this could be it.

They are filled with glycerin I believe - anyway, when the liquid heats up it expands and puts pressure against the diaphragm on the opposite side the fuel is pressurized. This causes the guage to read low, even if the fuel pressure hasn't changed.

Edit in: believe me, I manufacture/sell a fuel psi guage adapter for a certain application and when I first sold them I supplied a liquid filled guage. I had to eat about 200 of them when i figured this out. Calls to Autometer, Mr gasket, etc,etc led me no where. i figured this out finally in the shop.

Life's a beatch right ?

=========================

Just read where fuel pump is mounted....I agree...that is not in good location. In a perfect world it should be mounted lower than fuel level.

Why do you think Merc had to use mechanical lift pumps for many of their EFi systems with electric pumps which were mounted on the engine. Same reason.

==========================

Antisipon valves can play havoc with electric pump fuel systems because of their small ability to 'pull' fuel.

Last edited by SB; 05-21-2014 at 04:42 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:33 PM
Registered

thanks for info I will look and see if I can lower it closer to the tank
Old 05-21-2014, 05:18 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
If you have a liquid filled fuel pressure guage on the engine somewhere, this could be it.

They are filled with glycerin I believe - anyway, when the liquid heats up it expands and puts pressure against the diaphragm on the opposite side the fuel is pressurized. This causes the guage to read low, even if the fuel pressure hasn't changed.

Edit in: believe me, I manufacture/sell a fuel psi guage adapter for a certain application and when I first sold them I supplied a liquid filled guage. I had to eat about 200 of them when i figured this out. Calls to Autometer, Mr gasket, etc,etc led me no where. i figured this out finally in the shop.

Life's a beatch right ?

=========================

Just read where fuel pump is mounted....I agree...that is not in good location. In a perfect world it should be mounted lower than fuel level.

Why do you think Merc had to use mechanical lift pumps for many of their EFi systems with electric pumps which were mounted on the engine. Same reason.

==========================

Antisipon valves can play havoc with electric pump fuel systems because of their small ability to 'pull' fuel.
SB , who in your opinion has the most accurate fuel pressure gauge ? This is the style I'm referring to . http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/331164469013?lpid=82 Feel free to PM me .

Last edited by the deep; 05-21-2014 at 05:22 PM.
Old 05-21-2014, 05:31 PM
Fast Singles Club
Gold Member

Received 387 Likes on 156 Posts

I just wanted to add that I've had the face plates crack during the winter months on liquid filled fuel pressure gauges . That's not supposed to happen but it did .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.