Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Here we go!  blew up a blower motor >

Here we go! blew up a blower motor

Notices

Here we go! blew up a blower motor

Old 05-23-2014, 05:13 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was having a lengthy conversation yesterday with a friend of mine and he informed me that Callies was getting out of the junk buisness.
Old 05-23-2014, 05:46 AM
Registered

L-19 - 2000, certified - not certified, Chinese - American, $600 damper -$50. I personally have a thing about buying Chinese stuff but that's me. I don't care if you spend 30k in parts or 5k if the clearances aren't right and you don't have a good oil pan then you don't stand a chance. I don't understand why in the world someone would spend thousands on a custom motor and re-use the stock oil pan. I just don't get it. I'd have to say inadequate oil systems has got to be the number one killer of all the blown up stuff I've seen...
Old 05-23-2014, 06:19 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Borgie
Some parts, yes. However, said individual is not qualified to speak on rod bolts. He is the same guy that made the I beam vs H Beam argument. It's well known and any manufacturer will back up, that just because it's an H beam or I beam, doesn't necessarily make it more superior/stronger. The idea that "any" moisture will render a L-19 useless is absurd. If that were true, special instructions and gloves would come with the bolts as they use to be supplied.

I'm completely open to new information and don't mind being proven wrong, just strange that two sources seemed to chalk up many of the horror stories as just that.
Only going off information from what I've been told by some pro engine builders, an ARP rep at a trade show, and their website, regarding my initial statement about the L19 bolt. If its "absurd", that the bolt can be contaminated by moisture, ARP should remove that stipulation from their website. It probably misleading to a lot of engine builders out there. Im sure they would be skipping the ARP2000 bolt and going right to the L19 in all their builds if there were no real drawbacks to the L19.

ARP2000®: ARP2000 is an alloy steel that can be safely heat treated to a higher level, producing a greater strength material than 8740. While 8740 and ARP2000 share similar characteristics – ARP2000 is capable of achieving a clamp load at 220,000 psi. ARP2000 is used widely in short track and drag racing as an up-grade from 8740 chrome moly in both steel and aluminum rods. Stress corrosion and hydrogen embrittlement are typically not a problem, providing care is taken during installation.

L19: This is a premium steel that is processed to deliver superior strength and fatigue properties. L19 is a very high strength material compared to 8740 and ARP2000 and is capable of delivering a clamp load at 260,000 psi. It is primarily used in short track and drag racing applications where inertia loads exceed the clamping capability of ARP2000. Like most high strength, quench and temper steels – L19 requires special care during manufacturing to avoid hydrogen embrittlement. This material is easily contaminated and subject to stress corrosion. It must be kept well-oiled and not exposed to moisture.
Old 05-23-2014, 06:36 AM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

When looking at eagle and scat cranks side by side it's easy to tell which one is which. The eagle has nicely finished counterweights, and the scat has nicely finished journals. I'll go with the better journals lol.
Old 05-23-2014, 08:18 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

i have used scat and eagle crankshafts and i have found the journal tolerance much closer on the scat cranks,from an assembler,s viewpoint i like the scat better because of this.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, seeing the thread about the rod bolts makes me want to set up a 4900 RPM rev limiter for my 4.25 stroker with the Eagle crank and rods and the 8740 rod bolts. At least I went through the trouble of using a stretch gauge on them.
Old 05-23-2014, 12:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Borgie
Lol. If callies backs it that's the final word in my book. My machinist also does quite a few circle track and marine engines and he laughed when the topic arose. If the 2000 series were the appropriate bolt, callies would utilize it in their BBC rods. As assumed, the L-19 is a better bolt.

Good choice stretching the bolts. I never use to do this, however a guy I know that owns Forrester Racing engines here in Arizona converted me.
It was interesting that ARP suggested 63 ft lbs with their lube if using a torque wrench, but to get the stretch figure they called for I had to go considerably higher than that. I called them about it because I was concerned, but they told me not to worry about it and to go by the stretch figure rather than the torque. They used a conservative torque figure to try to keep people from overstretching their rod bolts with improper procedures and old yard sale torque wrenches that had not been calibrated since the dawn of man.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:48 PM
Registered

How many have actually seen a rod bolt fail? I know we don't use them in a marine deal but in an aluminum rod deal you just have aluminum threads supporting the whole rod. I think it's really a waste of a good argument really.
Old 05-23-2014, 03:47 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Black Baja
How many have actually seen a rod bolt fail? I know we don't use them in a marine deal but in an aluminum rod deal you just have aluminum threads supporting the whole rod. I think it's really a waste of a good argument really.
Probably not that common, but I have to wonder if some of the spun bearings are actually from rod bolts stretching and starting to fail, which could lead to lack of crush on the bearing. Which could lead to a spun bearing.
Old 05-23-2014, 04:58 PM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
Well, seeing the thread about the rod bolts makes me want to set up a 4900 RPM rev limiter for my 4.25 stroker with the Eagle crank and rods and the 8740 rod bolts. At least I went through the trouble of using a stretch gauge on them.
You're fine. I'd have no problem using that rod/bolt combo with 800HP all day. Your typical H beam rating for a BBC is

800HP with 8740 bolts
1200HP with ARP2000
1500HP with L19

I take that with a grain of salt though, because there are things like stroke, piston weight, rpm, that factor in. But generally speaking, for a N/A 496 Stroker, you have PLENTY of connecting rod with the 8740 bolt. However, if I was building a 1500HP engine, I wouldn't be using a eagle, scat, or compstar rod. I'd want some Carillos in there.

Manley has been providing H beam rods for many years. I believe they recently dropped the L19 option from their h beam rods. Now you can only get 8740 or, upgrade to the 2000 series. If you get their pro series rods, they come with arp2000 standard, and ARP Custom Age 625 as an option on certain bbc rods, such as the beefy marine duty I beam rod that cost 1500+ a set.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.