Here we go! blew up a blower motor

Notices

Here we go! blew up a blower motor

Old 05-23-2014, 05:35 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

:
Originally Posted by MILD THUNDER
You're fine. I'd have no problem using that rod/bolt combo with 800HP all day. Your typical H beam rating for a BBC is

800HP with 8740 bolts
1200HP with ARP2000
1500HP with L19

I take that with a grain of salt though, because there are things like stroke, piston weight, rpm, that factor in. But generally speaking, for a N/A 496 Stroker, you have PLENTY of connecting rod with the 8740 bolt. However, if I was building a 1500HP engine, I wouldn't be using a eagle, scat, or compstar rod. I'd want some Carillos in there.

Manley has been providing H beam rods for many years. I believe they recently dropped the L19 option from their h beam rods. Now you can only get 8740 or, upgrade to the 2000 series. If you get their pro series rods, they come with arp2000 standard, and ARP Custom Age 625 as an option on certain bbc rods, such as the beefy marine duty I beam rod that cost 1500+ a set.
Thanks MT, I appreciate the input. Of course, I also have the limitation of a cast steel crank instead of forged, but this is far from a max effort build. If I had the whole thing to do over again, I certainly would have gone forged from the outset, but for what I will be doing with this motor, I should be fine.

Planning to hear it roar to life this weekend!

BTW, is that girl in your avitar surfing OSO?
Old 05-23-2014, 06:39 PM
Registered

Received 1,188 Likes on 566 Posts

Budman, am I putting things together right, that you are using Eagle cast stroker cranks?

Last edited by Rookie; 05-23-2014 at 06:43 PM.
Old 05-23-2014, 07:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm going to ask him about running a scat rotating assembly. Will my stock 8 at oil pan be ok? The only fuel I could get around me non ethanol is 90 octane. What compression should I stick with with those 049 heads
Old 05-23-2014, 09:21 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Stock pan and oil system good for a stock motor after that its time for some better parts.
Old 05-23-2014, 10:45 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rookie
Budman, am I putting things together right, that you are using Eagle cast stroker cranks?
yep - single engine.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is twin engine boat
Old 05-24-2014, 08:29 AM
Registered

Sorry TB, looks like I walked all over your post. Hopefully some of the info discussed with my build will be helpful for yours. If you are running a supercharged application where there could be more blowby to mess with oil drainback to the pan, along with a stroker crank, I would recommend upgrading to a 10 quart or larger pan. There is a lot of discussion on this forum about oiling systems, heads, cams, etc. There was a poster who goes by "ArcticFriends" who put together an epic thread about the ins and outs of properly setting up the oiling system for a high power marine engine. I would recommend searching for it. You als mentioned that you were talking to Bob M about cam design - he would also probably be a good guy to ask about other aspects of your build, like heads, valvetrain, etc. Good luck with it!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.