Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Backfire through exhaust on initial startup >

Backfire through exhaust on initial startup

Notices

Backfire through exhaust on initial startup

Old 05-27-2014, 11:06 AM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts

May wanna pull the dist cap and look for carbon tracking. I've seen that cause some really odd symptoms.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:21 AM
Registered

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts

Exaust starts to open (adjust intake) Intake full open then almost closed (adjust exaust) I have found this works for me.
Old 05-27-2014, 11:56 AM
MarineKinetics
Platinum Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Tom,

Your valve adjustment is incorrect.

Bob
Old 05-27-2014, 12:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Budman II
BTW, thanks for all the input guys - all good suggestions. As of now, I think my issue is either initial timing or improper valve adjustment. I set them up one cylinder at a time, and rotated the crank 90* for each cylinder in the firing order. Adjusted intake and exhaust on each successive cylinder, with one full turn after zero clearance. Maybe I need to back them off a quarter turn. I just recall reading that the Morel's seem to work better at one full turn to center up the plunger.
you were 180 out,my guess is their was unburned fuel left over that could have made the backfire..also on a side note i like to go a 1/2 turn after zero lash, reason when you go one full turn to cpmpress the plunger in the lifter and if that lifter were ever to malfunction it could expand .100th and the valve could kiss the piston..1/2 turn gives you extra clearance if that were to happen..
Old 05-27-2014, 12:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,048 Likes on 1,357 Posts

Those Morel's will rattle if there not a full turn down, believe me I know
Old 05-27-2014, 12:34 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

#1 cylinder TDC compression (both valves closed) bring pointer + line on damper to 10BTDC. Get your rotor to point dead nuts at #1 inside cap. Make sure carb is full of fuel. Start key and braaaappp, it's started.

Last edited by SB; 05-27-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 05-27-2014, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

First put the bong down!! Then fix it!! Lol
Old 05-27-2014, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I.C.U.Lookin
First put the bong down!! Then fix it!! Lol
I'm switching back to beer.
Old 05-27-2014, 03:56 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SB
#1 cylinder TDC compression (both valves closed) bring pointer + line on damper to 10BTDC. Get your rotor to point dead nuts at #1 inside cap. Make sure carb is full of fuel. Start key and braaaappp, it's started.

Intake just about closed, adjust exhaust. Same procedure as above.
I recall using a timing light on #1 plug wire with ignition on to hone in on the distributor position to set up initial timing. Not sure if this will work with a Tbolt IV.
Old 05-27-2014, 09:51 PM
Registered

I went through and readjusted the valves using the procedure outlined by fbc25 - exh starts to open, adj intake, when intake is almost closed, adj exh. Started it again and it ran for a second then backfired hard thru the carb. Almost certain the power valve has to be toast after that one. Went through and double checked to make sure distributor is in the right position and not out of phase. It's right, and this time I set the mark on the balancer to the 10* adv mark on the tab, then made sure rotor is pointing to #1 as SB suggested. At this point I'm too tired to fool with it anymore and it's getting too late to fire up a big block with open headers and expect my neighbors to still like me tomorrow. Going to give it another shot tomorrow. If it's still backfiring I guess the next thing to do would be a leakdown test to make sure I didn't bend a valve, although I'm almost 100% certain that didn't happen. Pushrods were all fine and this thing just turned over too easily by hand to have any valve / piston interference.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.