What are they worth? >

What are they worth?

Notices

What are they worth?

Old 05-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by FormulaF272SR1
No brand, they were custom made. they look pretty nice and none of the welds leak. Must have been a pita to fab these up!
so you don,t know who made the headers?
Old 05-29-2014, 10:30 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I stand by my 1500 each.

Cast internals
Unknown history
Headers are a liability.

Not busting your balls but that's the reality of it.
Old 05-29-2014, 01:59 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Be worth more with all stock setup.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mike tkach
so you don,t know who made the headers?
No, but the boat runs great, they definitely do not hurt performance. It jumps out of the water with no stutter.
Old 05-29-2014, 08:59 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by vintage chromoly
I stand by my 1500 each.

Headers are a liability.

Not busting your balls but that's the reality of it.
How are the headers a liability?
edit: Once the buyer hears and drives, I doubt the liability issue is even thought of.

Last edited by FormulaF272SR1; 05-29-2014 at 09:03 PM.
Old 05-29-2014, 09:52 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

2000 each. I paid 2k for a nice carbed 330hp 454 with every accessory stock manifolds oil pan to flame arrestor starter etc.
Old 05-29-2014, 11:09 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

How are you going to prove that they have 265hrs???

2k each is about right. The unknown headers are basically worth no more than stock exhaust.
Old 05-30-2014, 05:19 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
How are you going to prove that they have 265hrs???

2k each is about right. The unknown headers are basically worth no more than stock exhaust.
yeah, good point, I can't prove the hours, Just going by what the shop told me that swapped them in.
Old 05-30-2014, 06:40 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

Here's the deal on "unknown headers".

Marine Headers are fully water jacketed (tube in a tube). Any sort of pinhole leak can result in water in your cylinder(s). Water in your cylinders will rust your cylinders, or can cause issues much more serious including hydro-lock (bent rods, crushed bearing shells, etc). Rusty cylinders won't TELL you they are rusty until you lose your ring seal. A crushed bearing shell will result in a damaged crank and possibly a thrown (broken) rod and block.

Nobody with much sense will WANT to pay extra for a set of "no name" wet marine headers. You might find a zombie who likes the way they look and thinks they are a good buy, but generally speaking you need to be able to tell a guy WHO made them and then it's up to the reputation of the builder. And, here's the kicker - even the high dollar BRAND NAME marine headers suffer from some of these issues on occasion - and the ones who survive to sell more headers are the ones who TAKE CARE of their customers and provide above average service.

So, back to square one - a nice NEVER OPENED, NEVER "REBUILT" low hour black Merc 330 with ALL STOCK parts is worth a certain amount. A 330 that has had "several doo dads and has been rebuilt by the guy who builds all the race car motors around here" is worth MUCH LESS unless you have the pedigree for the builder, the build sheet for the motor, and a dyno sheet and the ability to start and run the motor for a buyer.

There are no "desirable upgrade" parts in a 330. It is the lowest common denominator of 454s. Great long-living motor. But nothing special.
As has been said, for a little more money you can find a used Mag (steel crank, forged rods with large bolts, forged pistons, rectangle port heads, hi rise intake).

So, they are worth whatever you get somebody to pay.

I assume you are looking to drop something "else" into your boat? Do tell..
Old 06-03-2014, 02:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mcollinstn
Here's the deal on "unknown headers".

Marine Headers are fully water jacketed (tube in a tube). Any sort of pinhole leak can result in water in your cylinder(s). Water in your cylinders will rust your cylinders, or can cause issues much more serious including hydro-lock (bent rods, crushed bearing shells, etc). Rusty cylinders won't TELL you they are rusty until you lose your ring seal. A crushed bearing shell will result in a damaged crank and possibly a thrown (broken) rod and block.

Nobody with much sense will WANT to pay extra for a set of "no name" wet marine headers. You might find a zombie who likes the way they look and thinks they are a good buy, but generally speaking you need to be able to tell a guy WHO made them and then it's up to the reputation of the builder. And, here's the kicker - even the high dollar BRAND NAME marine headers suffer from some of these issues on occasion - and the ones who survive to sell more headers are the ones who TAKE CARE of their customers and provide above average service.

So, back to square one - a nice NEVER OPENED, NEVER "REBUILT" low hour black Merc 330 with ALL STOCK parts is worth a certain amount. A 330 that has had "several doo dads and has been rebuilt by the guy who builds all the race car motors around here" is worth MUCH LESS unless you have the pedigree for the builder, the build sheet for the motor, and a dyno sheet and the ability to start and run the motor for a buyer.

There are no "desirable upgrade" parts in a 330. It is the lowest common denominator of 454s. Great long-living motor. But nothing special.
As has been said, for a little more money you can find a used Mag (steel crank, forged rods with large bolts, forged pistons, rectangle port heads, hi rise intake).

So, they are worth whatever you get somebody to pay.

I assume you are looking to drop something "else" into your boat? Do tell..

Thanks for the info. I had just planned to swap in some LS engines. I like the Hardin sea pump option to make things easy there. I am talking to a guy right now and he is between 2000-2500 per without the headers. I see what you mean about the pin hole issues, never realized that was an issue but then I am newer to boating so its good to learn about these things.