7.4 MPI Vapor Lock and "jip joint gas" >

7.4 MPI Vapor Lock and "jip joint gas"

Notices

7.4 MPI Vapor Lock and "jip joint gas"

Old 06-02-2014, 08:31 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Cool 7.4 MPI Vapor Lock and "jip joint gas"

This past weekend I experienced my first Vapor Lock - We were out running around- rather hard- and then parked the boat for about 30 minutes. I tried to start to no avail -- I opened the engine cover and let it sit to cool for about another 30 minutes and it started right up.

I have noticed that I never experienced this vapor lock stuff when I purchased my fuel from Shell or BP - but ONLY experienced it when I bought gas from what I call a jip joint outfit -- Admiral. I don't know if this was purely coincidence or not but I do know that running the lesser "quality fuel" even thought it was the same octane - 89-- that I didn't get the top end speed like I normally get when using Shell fuel.

Any other experiences?

3pointstar
Old 06-02-2014, 08:56 AM
Registered

Received 471 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by 3pointstar
This past weekend I experienced my first Vapor Lock - We were out running around- rather hard- and then parked the boat for about 30 minutes. I tried to start to no avail -- I opened the engine cover and let it sit to cool for about another 30 minutes and it started right up.

I have noticed that I never experienced this vapor lock stuff when I purchased my fuel from Shell or BP - but ONLY experienced it when I bought gas from what I call a jip joint outfit -- Admiral. I don't know if this was purely coincidence or not but I do know that running the lesser "quality fuel" even thought it was the same octane - 89-- that I didn't get the top end speed like I normally get when using Shell fuel.

Any other experiences?

3pointstar
I could be the gas but many times it isn't, as you mentioned I would first think of coincidental. If you didn't have any other running issues it may not be. When mine vapor locked, It would start and I would idle out of the cove and just as I was throttling up it would cough and die. Took a bit of more cooling down before it would run. This was mostly my own fault because I filled it up in the winter, so not only did I have E10, but also had winter mix. From then on I buy nothing by non-ethanol fuel and have no issues.