Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
New engine ready to fire but WONT! Expierenced techs Please Help!!! >

New engine ready to fire but WONT! Expierenced techs Please Help!!!

Notices

New engine ready to fire but WONT! Expierenced techs Please Help!!!

Old 06-12-2014, 01:31 PM
Registered

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Yes, limit switch
Old 06-12-2014, 02:10 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Budman II
There might be a problem with the trim limit switch. Black double wire coming from the transom assembly.
Look in transom area for your trim motor, there are usually 2 small wires that have connectors running to it. Those will come loose or disconnect and you'll lose trim function. Mine has done it in rough water at LOTO. Just an idea
Old 06-12-2014, 05:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can't wait to try those ideas, too bad 10 minutes ago I had a trailor bearing go out on the highway and about melttheboat down! Oh and it's raining again. Gonna be a long night.... seriously, mint condition 89 Formula 24242ls w built 454.... $100 anyone? Lol
Old 06-14-2014, 12:11 AM
Registered

Just a quick update incase anyone was still following, I finally got the motor started today! That thing screamed to life, I broke the cam in, and got it idling real nice with no problems so far. Was getting kinda late and was EXTREMELY loud (in a good way thanks to the CMI's) so I had to call it a night... Gonna get up early and set the timing, get that trim problem handled, and hopefully take it out for the first run! Wish me luck guys Oh, and while I'm at it, what are you guys' suggestions for breaking in a new motor? It is a hydraulic flat tappet motor, but everything is new, bearing, rings, pistons, cam, lifters, you name it. Thanks again, hope to see some of you at LOTO!
Old 06-14-2014, 07:48 AM
Registered

I personally like Lucas Hotrod oil in cars, it has the zinc and phosphorous needed to protect that new cam.
Old 06-14-2014, 06:29 PM
Registered

I got some pretty heavy zinc oil in it, I mean like drive - cycles and how many rpms to put "X" amount of hours on before I can open it up!?
Old 06-15-2014, 01:40 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

The engine is broke in after an hour as long it was assembled correctly.
Old 06-15-2014, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the cylinders were plateau honed with the proper grit stone the rings should seat in very quickly. I would just drive it fairly easy for a few hours, and then drive it like you stole it. Several builders have recommended putting a seaon of driving on the motor before switching from organic to synthetic oil, but I'm sure some will disagree with this as there seems to be dozens of theories on breaking oil, etc.
Old 06-15-2014, 12:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by gmgearhead454
Just a quick update incase anyone was still following, I finally got the motor started today! That thing screamed to life, I broke the cam in, and got it idling real nice with no problems so far. Was getting kinda late and was EXTREMELY loud (in a good way thanks to the CMI's) so I had to call it a night... Gonna get up early and set the timing, get that trim problem handled, and hopefully take it out for the first run! Wish me luck guys Oh, and while I'm at it, what are you guys' suggestions for breaking in a new motor? It is a hydraulic flat tappet motor, but everything is new, bearing, rings, pistons, cam, lifters, you name it. Thanks again, hope to see some of you at LOTO!
What did you find was the problem....