Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Water in motor..need help fast!! >

Water in motor..need help fast!!

Notices

Water in motor..need help fast!!

Old 06-15-2014, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water in motor..need help fast!!

So I bet your all sick of me posting about issues on my 502. After finding milky oil, I thought it was a intake or head gasket. Well pulled the upper off the motor today. I found about a teaspoon full of water in the number 4,6,8 exhaust ports on my emi manifolds. There was also water sitting on top of those 4,6,8 pistons. So what could be the cause of this..all gaskets looked fine, no obvious signs of them broke. I just switch over to a crossover, do you think there was any way that it was over pressurizing the system and leaking past the heads? Its a gen 5. The motor doesnt have any cracks in the water jackets...I need some help or info before I put it all back together..
Old 06-15-2014, 08:45 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

st Louis. lemme guess...not salt water? cuts down on likelihood of rotted out heads at the valve guides. too much cam? crossover does not ADD water pressure. unless you went with a much bigger sea pump. no water in 1,3,5,7? bad exhaust manifold or riser. only 1 side cuts down on likelihood of reversion. I put a T fitting under each manifold where water goes in. ran a big hose around back of motor connecting both manifolds. put a ball valve up front in one feed hose to exhaust. every time I shut off engine I lifted hatch and flipped valve, draining manifolds. got me thru the season with a leaker last year. you could-should also pressure test the 2,4,6,8 side manifold.
Old 06-15-2014, 08:51 PM
Registered

having a similar issue but seeing it is only on one side I would also suspect manifolds or the gasket joint between the manifold and riser if it is not dry fit.. maybe post your previous thread so we have more info to go by.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:28 PM
Registered

The gasket between riser and manifold is good. Its only on the 468 cylinder..not the number 2 (front cylinder) if the gasket was bad it have water in all...I cant get away with just running a hose off the manifold cause its getting water into the pistons...will cause a hydro lock..bending some stuff.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Registered

Cam is a stock roller cam replacment..so cam isnt to big.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:30 PM
Registered

If it's not gaskets you could have bad flappers which will allow motor to wash up inside the motor.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:47 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Do you have a water pressure gauge on it? I had a friend who switched from circ pump to a crossover and kept pushing water past his intake gaskets. Any chance you could be doing something like this, or maybe pushing it past the head gasket? The circ pump actually acts to moderate the water pressure. He had to install a pressure valve and dump the excess overboard to correct the problem. The seawater pumps can move something like 60 GPM of water.
Old 06-15-2014, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stlliberator
So I bet your all sick of me posting about issues on my 502. After finding milky oil, I thought it was a intake or head gasket. Well pulled the upper off the motor today. I found about a teaspoon full of water in the number 4,6,8 exhaust ports on my emi manifolds. There was also water sitting on top of those 4,6,8 pistons. So what could be the cause of this..all gaskets looked fine, no obvious signs of them broke. I just switch over to a crossover, do you think there was any way that it was over pressurizing the system and leaking past the heads? Its a gen 5. The motor doesnt have any cracks in the water jackets...I need some help or info before I put it all back together..
get rid of the crossover and put the water pump back on..emi manifolds need heat so make sure you are running a minimum 160* bypass stat..hate to tell you this but for some reason the BBC manifolds sweat and the moisture goes into the exhaust ports when you shut the engine off..EMI needs to address this..i see it more and more..
Old 06-16-2014, 08:45 AM
Registered

Ok..another question about the intake gasket..on the rear of the heads water passage the gasket blocks this off but water is still hitting the backside of this gasket making it really wet. I could just poke my finger through the gasket once the intake was off...any reason this water passage is blocked off?

Also if the manifold is internally cracked and leaking water into the manifold...how is it getting back into the motor and into the oil?
Old 06-16-2014, 09:18 AM
Registered

If water gets into cylinders if sitting long enough will weep past the rings into the pan.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.