Loose/missing exh flapper >

Loose/missing exh flapper

Notices

Loose/missing exh flapper

Old 06-17-2014, 09:10 PM
Registered

Received 286 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Loose/missing exh flapper

Fired the boat up today (on the hose) for the first time after pulling the engs/drives and gimble plates over the winter.
Noticed a water leak and exh fumes in the bilge. Found the pivot pin for one of the exh flappers sticking out abt 3".
This is on the Y-pipe (silent choice).

Not sure what's supposed to hold the pivot pin in place but figured I could slide in back in place and install a large hose clamp around the pipe right over the pin so it couldn't slide out. Then I started thinking the flapper may have fallen off.

To make matters worse, I found another pin that looks very similar laying in the bilge.
Couldn't figure out what it was at the time, but now I think I know.

If I use thru transom exh only, would it be safe to run? Could I get reversion with the Y-pipe flapper missing if running in loud mode only?
Old 06-18-2014, 01:21 AM
Registered

I don't normally work on the boat at night, but this was driving me nuts. I pulled the elbow off the manifold that had the loose pivot pin.
Stuck a remote camera in there and found the pin was holding one side of the flapper but came loose from the other side. I was able to manipulate the pin and get it re-inserted thru the flapper and out the hole on the other side of the pipe. Also discovered the rubber exh coupler is supposed to cover the pin so it can't come out. Apparently I had installed the coupler a bit too high. Re-positioned the coupler and looks like it will be OK.

I was now sure the mystery pin I had found earlier was from another flapper. Pulled the remaining exh elbows and found where it belonged. The flapper had fallen and was close to the bottom of the Y-pipe. Good thing I hadn't started that eng yet. Pulled the exh diverter valve and was able to reach down and grab the flapper with some mechanical fingers and got it re-installed. Whew!! Sure glad I'm not pulling the eng/s back out again..

On to the next issue..
Old 06-18-2014, 05:15 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you wanna be really careful with stuff falling into y-pipe. a friend dropped a bolt down there. said screw it and left it. steel against aluminum underwater. rotted a hole thru y-pipe. nearly sank his boat.
Old 06-18-2014, 10:08 AM
Registered

Good point.
I had originally dropped a magnet tied to rope down the y-pipe to retrieve the flapper. Not sure what the flapper is made of, but it's non-magnetic. I did however find a small steel washer. No idea where it came from. It probably would have washed itself out. But you never know for sure. Just glad it's out.
Old 06-18-2014, 09:25 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

On my SCARAB I ran the exhaust almost dry. ( just enough to keep them safe and not burning the rubber hose.) I couldn't keep the flappers in the Y pipe and ran without them and never had a problem even with a good sized cam. If the flapper falls into the bottom of the Y pipe it will block the exit and water will back up in the exhaust.