Air Fuel ratio >

Air Fuel ratio

Notices

Air Fuel ratio

Old 06-27-2014, 06:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus
Why not go back to Crockett and ask his opinion? The guy knows his stuff.

How much boost can those old MEFI units read? Any chance that anything about 5 psi is out of range of the MAP sensor?

80lbs is off the charts!
Talked to Crockett today. "He said stop by tomorrow and I can help you out" Sweet!!
Old 06-28-2014, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

without starting a war here...but this is the issue with the merc MEFI systems and not being able to tune on the fly in the boat for the most of the guys...not to many setups/elevations/etc are the same so sending the ECM out getting a tune done and trying, then repeating is a pain. your 80psi fuel pressure is just a big bandaid that procharger tried to no tune was required..again banaid....you need to change injectors/rails, possibly fuel system(not sure what you have done) then work on tune to get it right...my .02 Rob
Old 06-28-2014, 08:35 AM
Registered

Mefi 4s can tune on the fly with Tuner Pro emulator and/or Mefi Burn.
Old 06-28-2014, 08:55 AM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by Griswald
So does that mean you can make changes to all of the maps real time while someone is driving the boat ?
Old 06-28-2014, 09:13 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by GPM
So does that mean you can make changes to all of the maps real time while someone is driving the boat ?
Yes, you can tune real time on the fly. I'll drive the boat with the laptop on my lap and tune it while I drive.

As mentioned, you are out of injector. Being a 97, you have Keihin injectors. There are no drop in replacements. However, we have redrilled the intake and fuel rails to accept long Mototron injectors. You can then go to 65 lb injectors (high impedance) that will support all you want to do. You will also need to make some mods to the rail so that I can be fed from both ends. The main fuel passage way in that rail isn't that large, not to mention you can't feed it with large lines or fittings. That is why we feed it from both ends.

80 psi is really hard on the injectors. The pintle has to close against that pressure and it really takes it's toll on them over time. Go to a Mefi 4B so that it can be tuned properly with a more manageable fuel pressure. Not only are you out of injector, but at 80 psi, you are probably at the upper end of what the pump can do. As pressure increases, the volume that the pump moves decreases.

We have done a ton of them. Let me know if we can help in any way.
Eddie
Old 06-29-2014, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Griswald
I understand that, what I was trying to get across was the fact of sending the ECM out to someone to tune off the boat and hope for the best when you put it back on...
Old 06-30-2014, 04:22 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
As mentioned, you are out of injector. Being a 97, you have Keihin injectors. There are no drop in replacements.
Eddie
Eddie, R/C injection in Torrance has drop in replacements for Keihin injectors in many sizes. I replaced my Keihin with RC units.
Old 06-30-2014, 09:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Trash
Eddie, R/C injection in Torrance has drop in replacements for Keihin injectors in many sizes. I replaced my Keihin with RC units.
Good to know Trash. Thank you!

Tyler Crockett has helped me optimize my current set-up and I am going to run it for the rest of the summer. Running Great!!

I am going to research my options over the Michigan off-season, Which lasts about 9 months, and decide which direction I want to go for future upgrades.

Thank you everyone for the advice, comments, and input! What a Fabulous wealth of knowledge and guys willing to share it available on OSO !

Last edited by hadleycat; 07-01-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Old 07-01-2014, 12:44 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Trash
The largest replacements I have seen is 50 lb/hr. We actually flowed some at the shop and they flowed the same as the stock 42's.
Eddie
Old 07-01-2014, 03:26 AM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Young Performance
The largest replacements I have seen is 50 lb/hr. We actually flowed some at the shop and they flowed the same as the stock 42's.
Eddie
I personally took my Merc manifold, TB , and fuel rails to their shop in Torrance and we grabbed injectors off the rack and hand installed them on site. Ran stock injectors through the flow bench and their injectors for a back to back A/ B comparison. Checked flow rates and spray patterns. They have stuff that flows way more than 42 lbs/hr. I am not affiliated nor endorsing but simply stating first hand,. onsite, touch the **** myself information. Use it as you see fit.

I've been running these injectors, my motor, self tuned, for over 3 years now (180 hrs run time). No complaints. Offering this merely as a data point for those in need.

Last edited by Trash; 07-01-2014 at 03:29 AM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.