Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How fast is an 88 scarab 1 with an efi 502???? >

How fast is an 88 scarab 1 with an efi 502????

Notices

How fast is an 88 scarab 1 with an efi 502????

Old 07-04-2014, 11:20 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How fast is an 88 scarab 1 with an efi 502????

Hey guys. This is my first post and I am looking to be an active part of this forum. I live in Maryland and will be boating in the rivers and bay around here.

I have owned a couple boats (crownline 250CR and a Bayliner trophy 21'). I am looking to buy/trade for my first speed boat. I have been on some bad azz boats (father in laws 45ss sonic), but unfortunately I don't have that kind of budget.

Anyway I am looking at trading my streetbike for an 88 21' scarab with an efi 502. Boat has a 4 blade unknown prop on it now. Also has drive shower and single external steering with bravo drive. I would like to know approximate top speed and what this boat with cruise at around 3500 rpms (propped right of course).

If I don't end up trading I will be looking at financing a boat for next year. I really would like to have a the checkmate 251 in the classifieds for $15k. I will only go that route if I can't work a trade the scarab or something similar.

Any ideas of the speeds this boat can achieve with the efi 502? Also is there any problems to look for with the boat? Thanks.
Old 07-04-2014, 11:49 AM
Registered

Thanks borgie. I just put a floor in an 89 6 meter century. Not a fun job. Hopefully I will be looking at it soon. My trade is worth about 4k so that's what I will have invested into this boat. Comes with a dual axle trailer too.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That Scarab will beat you to death in the Chesapeake. My buddy had one with a 383 it went 75. Running in the bay it broke the stringers at the motor mounts. That was with the second motor. The first motor it ripped the bosses off the engine block where the mounts bolt up. Hopefully that will give u an idea how it will handle the bay...
Old 07-04-2014, 12:12 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Black Baja
That Scarab will beat you to death in the Chesapeake. My buddy had one with a 383 it went 75. Running in the bay it broke the stringers at the motor mounts. That was with the second motor. The first motor it ripped the bosses off the engine block where the mounts bolt up. Hopefully that will give u an idea how it will handle the bay...
I hear ya. Something to think about. I mainly stay in the rivers anyway. I only cross the bay to go over to red eyes or kent more. It just seemed like a good deal for 4 grand. I don't ride my bike anymore so I figured I should trade it.

Like I said I want a checkmate 251 or a sonic prowler. I will have to finance them though cause I don't have 15k in my pocket. I don't even know if I can get a loan for a boat that's older than 12 years. Credit isn't great, it's around 700.
Old 07-04-2014, 12:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 493 Likes on 229 Posts

Buy the checkmate...or something at least 25'. Unless its a calm day, which is very rare on the Bay, you will hate it.

Good luck !!!
Old 07-04-2014, 12:31 PM
Registered

If the engine and drive are sound not a bad deal at all. Be nice to take that package out and find a nice hull to put it in...
Old 07-04-2014, 01:07 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

If the boat is clean and has a good 502 mpi, bravo and Hyd steering it's a great deal at 4k, whether or not it fits your boating style may be a different story.
Last week a surveyor showed up and looked over a boat a customer was selling. Moisture meter and mallet in hand he missed the broken inner transom plate, rotted transom and rotted stbd stringer. I'm not a fan of surveyors. But you need to have someone educated look the boat over.
Old 07-04-2014, 01:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A good surveyor in these parts minimum of $500 and up. depends on size of boat, how extensive a survey you want and some charge miles.. Don't know what they charge in your area.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:00 PM
Registered

I think I will look at the boat and go from there. I will be paying close attention to the transom, floor, and motor mounts. I agree on the motor and out drive package being worth it. It also has a drive shower. So will this boat get close to 80 mph? If it did it would probably be chine RUNNING!

I really want the checkmate in the for sale section. I just don't know how financing on an older boat works. I have always paid cash for everything.
Old 07-04-2014, 02:04 PM
Registered

I'd say 70 max

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.