Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Baja 260 with 454.... Has mufflers and would like to remove them..... >

Baja 260 with 454.... Has mufflers and would like to remove them.....

Notices

Baja 260 with 454.... Has mufflers and would like to remove them.....

Old 07-07-2014, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Baja 260 with 454.... Has mufflers and would like to remove them.....

So, I picked up this 93 Baja 260 with a 454 in it. The first time out I noticed it was considerably quieter than my buddies Scarab that had a 454 in it. Well, after I pulled it out of the water I was able to look up the pipes and noticed what looked like a muffler of some sort. Well..... I went ahead and investigated a little further once I got home and here is what's on it.

So, looking to see what my options are for removing these without spending a TON of money. I want to do it right, but just want to be budget friendly too. So, I guess I'd like to hear what my options are for doing this. Thanks in advance!

Thanks,

Kyle
Old 07-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Registered

Remove those and get some 4 inch pipe powder coated your choice of color. Or get stainless and polish it. Not expensive and not hard.
Old 07-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Registered

That's what I was thinking. I didn't know if I should get stainless since water does go through that and the potential of it rusting or not.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Either that or just replace it with one run of marine exhaust hose on each side.
Old 07-07-2014, 12:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Budman II
Either that or just replace it with one run of marine exhaust hose on each side.
Someone on another side mentioned that marine exhaust hose. Will it hurt performance at all? I guess I should say would it be better to put a piece of stainless in its place or will the exhaust hose suffice just fine? If I went with the hose part, would I do away with the rubber "bellow" looking piece that is currently connecting the muffler to the riser on the manifold, and just run a piece of 4" hose from the manifold all the way to the piece that exits the transom now?

Thanks,

Kyle

Last edited by ksstang; 07-07-2014 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-08-2014, 07:44 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

No marine exhaust hose will not hurt performance.

The hose will replace every thing you have there including the couplers.

http://www.cpperformance.com/p-45-4-...aust-hose.aspx Prob need to order 3 foot.

side note, if you want to get rid of those I would like them if the price is right to test on my baja. I need to turn the volume down on mine
Old 07-08-2014, 06:07 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Go,with. The marine hose as stated and be done, just make,sure you have some type of flapper inside or out side
Old 07-09-2014, 07:42 AM
Registered

I have the rubber flappers on the outside, and then this is what's just barely inside the tailpipes. I don't know if that's some sort of flapper too, but its in the down position.

Old 07-09-2014, 08:40 AM
Registered

I believe that your internal flap thats folded down tjere is broken. It should be up, and there is another flap right behind tthat one that should be down like the one shown.
Old 07-09-2014, 09:08 AM
Registered

Ok, so my next question since I haven't dealt much with the internal flaps...... Are those internal flaps built in to the tips that attach to the transom? The tips that my external rubber flappers are screwed too? If I take a screwdriver I can pry that flapper up, but its stiff enough that I can't with just a finger.