Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What do you clean your boat with? >

What do you clean your boat with?

Notices

What do you clean your boat with?

Old 07-10-2014, 04:15 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

I use this stuff, comes in powered form. I get a jug at Lowes for $14 and it makes like 20 gallons of cleaner, 1 jug a year. Acid on your gel for a few minutes is better than having a brown stain all summer

Old 07-10-2014, 04:50 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Get the least expensive toilet bowl cleaner that you can find - a plastic garden sprayer - goggles and rubber gloves - spray the bottom of the boat let it sit a few minutes (maybe 5-10) and hose off-- what some folks do is put the boat on a trailer - spray it - let it set for a few minutes and then launch - NOT THE BEST FOR THE ENVIRONMENT. I even do the engine to some degree - but I rinse that off much quicker. I have been doing this for 30+ years and NEVER had one ounce of a problem -- in fact I have our boat on a lift but just being in the water for a few hours will put some yellow on it - I typically spray the bottom 2-3 time per season.

as with ANY cleaner try a small spot to make sure you don't screw up the finish

Safe Boating

3pointstar
Old 07-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Slimey Grimey here as well. Put some in a spray bottle with water, spray it on the hull when its dry and hose it off

I love that stuff
Old 07-11-2014, 01:00 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

The Works toilet bowl cleaner or Sno Bowl work great. The easiest way is use a spray bottle or pump garden sprayer.
Muratic Acid works very well also. It is a little harsher if you breath it in.

Rinse very well after using any of them. All of them will stain an aluminum trailer or diamond plate so cover with plastic if needed.
Old 07-11-2014, 06:52 AM
OSO Moderator
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

All the stuff mentioned above eats a bit of your gel every time u apply it.

Read this thread: http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...-easy-use.html

This is what to use!! It works, non acid based, and won't eat gel, skin or have nasty fumes. It works!
Hard part is finding it. A local marina around here carries it, Norfolk Marine in Norfolk, Va.
Attached Thumbnails What do you clean your boat with?-image.jpg  

'00 Scarab Sport 302 CC
'02 Cigarette Top Gun TS
'02 PQ 340
'00 PQ 280
'98 Scarab 22
'97 Baja Outlaw 20
'72 Checkmate
'65 Glastron

Last edited by BillR; 07-11-2014 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-11-2014, 07:26 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Yes, once you apply something like Works to your hull you will be cleaning it more and more often as the staining reappears quicker. Not sure if it removes some of the oils in the gel or makes it more porous or both. The freshwater lake I boat on is a nuclear power plant cooling lake. A buddy of mine that slips his boat next to me has worked at the plant and says they put something in the water to help lubricate the seals for the cooling water pumps and he thinks that exasperates our hard water/staining problems.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Anyone ever notice these Acids are sold in a plastic jug? Yes they sit for years on a shelf in plastic. Sure, keep it away from metal. But I have a hard time believing it causes damage to gel.
Old 07-11-2014, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

All I know is in my experience my boats stay pretty clean the first couple seasons then the staining/deposits appear. After the initial cleaning with acid I then have to clean the hull at least twice a year. So the acid does something to the gel.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:43 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use MaryKate On Off. Works in seconds and brings the worst stains all the way to factory white. Sure it strips wax and I have even read that it strips the factory wax from the gel. I figure why fight it since the boat sits in a slip and no matter what you do you will have to strip and re-apply wax anyways. It's unavoidable.

Old 07-11-2014, 09:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wal-mart Hull cleaner blue bottle $8 Transfer it to trigger sprayer, lightly spray on a wet hull, long handle brush push it around and all clean.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.