Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
What do you clean your boat with? >

What do you clean your boat with?

Notices

What do you clean your boat with?

Old 07-10-2014, 01:46 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default What do you clean your boat with?

I had a gray boat before my new sunny with a white bottom. This white bottom always has a light brown stain that will not come off. I know slimey Grimey will take it off but I fear it takes off the gel coat with it. I also heard from another boat that "Works" toilet bowl cleaner will work but again, I'm guessing it ruins the gel coat.

What do you guys use to keep your bottoms clean? Any tips appreciated. Plus tips for what you do your vinyl with inside the boat. TIA
Old 07-10-2014, 02:27 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Slimy Grimy is a great product. I've been using it for many years and no adverse affects. It's the best product for this purpose IMHO.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:44 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$1 store degreaser as soon as it comes out of the water at the ramp with some old beach towels and the bottom stays spotless. If it dries forget it has to be wet...
Old 07-10-2014, 02:50 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fountain of Youth Power One Cleaner. Spray on, rinse off. Will kill that brown stain in about 10 seconds or less. I am an authorized distributor so I posted a video on one of the local party spots facebook page. Here you can see how quick it works. This was diluted 50% water. Power One is non-acid based, it does not harm the gel coat or any polish/wax you may have on the boat. It will work on a wet hull, but it works better on a dry hull. I would suggest less dilution if spraying on a wet hull. In this video the boat had just come out of the water, but the staining wasn't too bad. The worse the stain the less dilution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dio3nCkiL4I&feature=youtu.be

Last edited by low_psi; 07-10-2014 at 02:54 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

For vinyl, leather, plastic, etc... on the interior I use Pledge. Don't use any of that scented stuff. It's worked great for years, I've used it on all my cars, and never have an issue with gray film like you get with water based products (like Armoral used to be). It has all the minerals and oils needed to keep leather clean and soft. Cheap and easy... you can't beat that, plus it's a great cleaner on top of a great conditioner.
Old 07-10-2014, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

I used Mary Kate on/off hull cleaner. Would walk under my formula on the lift and wipe it down. Worked well for me. Mild detergent diluted on interior with aerospace 303.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:04 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
Fountain of Youth Power One Cleaner. Spray on, rinse off. Will kill that brown stain in about 10 seconds or less. I am an authorized distributor so I posted a video on one of the local party spots facebook page. Here you can see how quick it works. This was diluted 50% water. Power One is non-acid based, it does not harm the gel coat or any polish/wax you may have on the boat. It will work on a wet hull, but it works better on a dry hull. I would suggest less dilution if spraying on a wet hull. In this video the boat had just come out of the water, but the staining wasn't too bad. The worse the stain the less dilution.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dio3nCkiL4I&feature=youtu.be
This stuff won't begin to touch the hard water buiidup/yellowing I get on my hull after a month or so of boating on my local lake. My boat is lift kept on a covered dock. Works eats the yellowing right off. Power One gets the yellowing to sag down a bit and that is it. Now my buddy uses Power One on his lift kept boats at LOTO and it works as advertised. So be aware that it may or may not work for you depending on the waters you boat on.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

Mary Kate on off works great. Cheaper option is to buy a gallon jug of muriatic acid. cut it 50/50 with water.
Old 07-10-2014, 03:41 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
This stuff won't begin to touch the hard water buiidup/yellowing I get on my hull after a month or so of boating on my local lake. My boat is lift kept on a covered dock. Works eats the yellowing right off. Power One gets the yellowing to sag down a bit and that is it. Now my buddy uses Power One on his lift kept boats at LOTO and it works as advertised. So be aware that it may or may not work for you depending on the waters you boat on.
Fair enuff. My only experience with it is in Lake Erie/Detroit River. That yellowing in the video is from 2 days of being in the water....

Originally Posted by Perlmudder
Mary Kate on off works great. Cheaper option is to buy a gallon jug of muriatic acid. cut it 50/50 with water.
Both of these options work well, however they strip the wax and polish, and burn like hell. The Power One doesn't burn or pull the wax/polish. But as noted above, may or may not work is different conditions. Power One certainly isn't the cheapest solution at $27.00 a gallon. However in my situation I have found it to be the best for me, as the extra $$ is worth not having to reapply polish and wearing gloves/mask/etc.

I have found, here in the Detroit River, Power One actually works faster than on/off. However On/Off worked really well to dissolve calcium build up (when I first brought my Velocity home it had scale from barnacles or muscles). Toilet Bowl cleaner from the dollar store works very well too, however just like the on/off it will strip the wax/polish and is also acid based.

I believe Fountain of Youth sells quarts of the Power One, so it can be bought in smaller quantities for trial.... I am a reseller, however I only sell to my local area (to avoid stepping on toes..). Plus I don't want it to come across as if I am advertising on this post...

Last edited by low_psi; 07-10-2014 at 03:48 PM.
Old 07-10-2014, 04:14 PM
Pirate of the Chesapeake
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On/off slightly diluted.. works fabulous.. And smells great too : hahaha

John jr

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.