496 HO in-line fuel filter >

496 HO in-line fuel filter

Notices

496 HO in-line fuel filter

Old 07-11-2014, 11:58 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 496 HO in-line fuel filter

Just a heads up. I just changed my 2 year old in-line Mercrusier fuel filter on my 496 Mag HO. When I removed the old one I noticed I could see straight through it. The cylindrical element was just rattling around inside and so it was doing no good. I suspect it was jarred loose from its attachment simply from riding on a boat. Which tells me it's not a very good quality unit, especially considering the very high cost. This filter is important and next year I'll get something else from the automotive store.
Old 07-11-2014, 12:07 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by NightHawk
Just a heads up. I just changed my 2 year old in-line Mercrusier fuel filter on my 496 Mag HO. When I removed the old one I noticed I could see straight through it. The cylindrical element was just rattling around inside and so it was doing no good. I suspect it was jarred loose from its attachment simply from riding on a boat. Which tells me it's not a very good quality unit, especially considering the very high cost. This filter is important and next year I'll get something else from the automotive store.
I just changed mine, which I do every couple years. They always rattle when I removed. There is a Wix/Napa replacement, but you will have to change the hose barbs as the connectors are a different size.
Old 07-11-2014, 09:11 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

That has been going for years with that junk over priced filter and when I carried new boats that fuel filter would knock out the boost fuel pump within 8 to 30 hours of running time because it offered no filtration whats so ever. They even come bad right out of the new box as well from merc. We used to buy the Mallory Marine version but they were bought out by Sierra so we are using theirs with no problems at all.

Like Brain said they rattle because they are broken up internally and will not offer any filtration whats so ever. They are 103 micron rated.

Last edited by BUP; 07-11-2014 at 09:13 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 06:00 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

could you tell me the wix/napa number on the filter

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
I just changed mine, which I do every couple years. They always rattle when I removed. There is a Wix/Napa replacement, but you will have to change the hose barbs as the connectors are a different size.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:13 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

I CANNOT guarantee this works as I have not tried or verified it:

http://www.wixfilters.com/Lookup/Int...x?q=33481&o=me

Where I got the info:
http://clubsearay.com/archive/index.php/t-25757.html
http://www.wakeworld.com/forum/showthread.php?t=793983
http://www.tigeowners.com/forum/arch...p/t-19144.html
Old 07-12-2014, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Were are these? I don't think I have them on my Fountain. Just the filters in the fuel pump box.
Old 07-12-2014, 07:43 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Not all boats have them Tim. They would be between your f/w separator and the fuel tanks, probably screwed to a stringer with a cushion clamp if present.
Old 07-12-2014, 08:42 AM
BUP
Banned

Most Merc apps that have a external boost fuel pump (showing) will have them persay 2002 and up. The Gen III cool fuel system from Merc do not have this metal inline fuel filter in that app. It is mostly the Gen II cool fuel system. The 496 should have it from 2001 - 2005 or 2006 year models. When the 496 changed over to the Gen III cool fuel set up that inline fuel filter went away.

The easiest way to tell if you have one is to follow the rubber fuel line out from your gas tank to the motor side. If you have one it should be inline mounted somewhere inbetween the fuel tank to motor side. Also yes it needs or should have a cushion clamp holding it down. Twin motor apps should have one for each motor.

Last edited by BUP; 07-12-2014 at 01:17 PM.
Old 07-12-2014, 09:00 AM
BUP
Banned

The ones at the auto store the Merc fittings off your old inline filter will not work for the threads as they are different. If you can find the correct barbs for the auto fuel filters then great. I did not want to run all over town so like I said I stock the Sierra brand as its a direct Merc cross over. Yes the price is higher than the auto filter as well even dealer wholesale Its 23 dollars coming from Sierra. Retails for 40 bucks.