Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Solid Roller Cam   Worth it?? >

Solid Roller Cam Worth it??

Notices

Solid Roller Cam Worth it??

Old 07-21-2014, 09:13 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I had a solid roller in a sick 12.5 to 1 SBF in my first boat ( Glastron CVX-18 ) I used to spin it to 7000 RPM and only had to adjust the valve train once a year and it was never off much.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:42 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My opinion is this. With today's hydraulic lifters and cams a solid roller is not needed in an every day beat around performance boat. I don't remember the numbers exactly but the morel hydraulic lifter starts falling off at I believe 1350hp and 6500 rpm on a blower motor on the exhaust side due to the cylinder pressure. Naturally Aspirated would be a different story but who wants to spend 100k to build that kind of motor. For your average Joe blow I think a solid roller is a bad idea. The lash as said doesn't need to be adjusted as stated but needs to be monitored. When they start going out of adjustment it's time for some lifters or atleast a very thorough inspection to see what's going on. Most guys don't know where you put oil in a motor let alone how to adjust valves. I have a .721 .721 283 290@ .050 hydraulic roller in my motor and I really can't see that you would ever need anything more than that in a boat...
Old 08-24-2014, 08:58 AM
Registered

Received 22 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
My opinion is this. With today's hydraulic lifters and cams a solid roller is not needed in an every day beat around performance boat. I don't remember the numbers exactly but the morel hydraulic lifter starts falling off at I believe 1350hp and 6500 rpm on a blower motor on the exhaust side due to the cylinder pressure. Naturally Aspirated would be a different story but who wants to spend 100k to build that kind of motor. For your average Joe blow I think a solid roller is a bad idea. The lash as said doesn't need to be adjusted as stated but needs to be monitored. When they start going out of adjustment it's time for some lifters or atleast a very thorough inspection to see what's going on. Most guys don't know where you put oil in a motor let alone how to adjust valves. I have a .721 .721 283 290@ .050 hydraulic roller in my motor and I really can't see that you would ever need anything more than that in a boat...
Paul,
Holy Cow I thought mine was huge at .693 .695 lift. Was a solid but going to a hydraulic because I want more reliable seat time. And pulling the Stellings off every time and new exhaust gaskets sucks just the check valve lash. I have full stud girdles and Regular Tall BBC valve covers so Headers have to be removed. Granted it sounds nasty as hell but the cam power ran out close to 7k. My bucket of resin is HEAVY. So why try to even think about keeping up! haha I'll get my new Cam Grind and Lifters From Bob. Still saving up $ to make just one phone call.
Old 08-24-2014, 11:49 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by KRAUSMOTORSPORTS
Paul,
Holy Cow I thought mine was huge at .693 .695 lift.
Like you I thought my Kiekhaefer motor had a big solid cam .... Lift .680/.708
Old 08-28-2014, 12:31 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Solid rollers will always let you know where you stand with your valve train. If you regularly check, and document your lash settings, failure is very rare. If you use a pressure fed, bushed lifter, it's almost impossible, unless you fail to keep tabs on it for extended hours of running.
Documenting your adjustments will show if there is a pattern of wear. A rocker that is loose .003" may not seem like much, but if it happens 3 times and you don't keep track, you are not getting what the engine is telling you. A .010" change all at once would certainly get your attention and warrant looking into.

Hydraulic rollers, albeit that run lower spring pressures, can still have roller failure. The problem is, because they continually adjust up the lash if something is wearing out, you may ever know until there is a failure. Sometimes the lower spring pressures can actually cause more harmonic issues and valve float, especially with boosted applications.

Just because you're running a hyd. roller, doesn't mean you never check them again. You should still, seasonally, back them off the same amount they are preloaded and make sure they are the same as when installed. If you put them in at 1/2 turn of preload and they go loose after backing one off at 1/8 turn upon checking them, you may have a problem.

Everything has it's pros and cons, but maintenance and documentation can mitigate failures and detect them before they are catastrophic. I continually pound this into my customers brains, and any type of failure is very rare.

Last edited by rev.ronnie; 08-28-2014 at 12:35 AM.
Old 08-29-2014, 07:23 AM
Goumada P5-38
Gold Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Solid roller cams have faster ramp rates , thus they build more cylinder pressure for more low end and mid range torque . Large hydraulic rollers tend to bleed off lots of cylinder pressure due to their slow opening rates , which are designed this way to prevent the hydraulic lifter from collapsing .All depends on how fast you want to accelerate and how fast you want to go . Most older hulls have tons of drag , and you need lots of torque to move them . this is where the solid roller shines in midrange and top end power . Solid roller cams also make the same power with about 6-8 degrees of less duration .If you are running a newer stepped hull, there is much less drag and the hydraulic roller cam is the better choice .
All depends on how fast you want to accelerate and how fast you want to go, and how savvy you are when it comes to adjusting and checking the valve lash . Comp cams makes a good line of "street solid roller" cams which are easy on valve train components and make tons of power . For the ultimate performance we use them in our race boats .
Old 08-29-2014, 07:58 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yup solid cam and t&d shaft rockers for sure one of the best go fast mod I did to my blown BBC :-) :-) :-)!!
Old 08-29-2014, 03:39 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by skydog
Yup solid cam and t&d shaft rockers for sure one of the best go fast mod I did to my blown BBC :-) :-) :-)!!
When are we going to see that 140 plus video ?
Old 09-01-2014, 09:14 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

pros and cons to both. I do believe the modern hydraulic rollers have somewhat narrowed the gap between hyd and solid, when it comes to power.

What I feel is more important, whether you choose either cam style, is setup of the valvetrain.

Lifters. You want a stout lifter. If going hydraulic, you want to make sure you have a lifter capable of the spring loads and rpm it will be subjected to.

Pushrods. One area where bigger is better. Go with the thickest and largest diameter you can fit in there. Its been proven that the old .080 wall 3/8 industry standard pushrod , will deflect a bunch in a higher HP higher RPM build, especially boosted. If you wanna save weight, do it on the valve side

Rockers. Steel Shaft rockers are nice, but not in everyones budget. Stay away from the cheapo aluminum rockers. I like the crane golds, scorpion marine series, or crower stainless if you can swing a few extra bucks. They are nice .

Rocker studs, poly locks, etc. Again, no skimping here. Be aware not all BBC poly locks are the same. Some rockers call for .550 locks, some .600.

Valvesprings. Here is an area I think most guys overlook. They simply look at the spring brand, and advertised seat pressure. Measuring installed height is crucial, and picking a spring that not only has the proper pressures you want, but also distance to coil bind. Having a spring that is setup too far from coil bind with the cam/rocker combo you are using, can lead to valve spring surge, and greatly reduce spring life from the extreme heat they will generate during surge. No point in buying 400 dollar a set springs, and having them be setup wrong. Pointless.

Pushrod geometry. Often overlooked. Was doing it the old fashioned way when I assembled my engines a few years back. This past winter, I redidthem using the mid lift method. My old way I was losing .035 of lift at the valve
Old 09-01-2014, 07:46 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run the merc soild rollers that they use in 1075 and 900 motors. jesel shaft mount rockers isky tool room steel springs hipo lifters. check values every 50 hours.235 hr on motors no problems so far!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.