engine fault code? >

engine fault code?

Notices

engine fault code?

Old 07-23-2014, 01:22 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default engine fault code?

I am getting a fault code of "shift switch" on a 2003 mercruiser 5.0 bravo 1 with a 555 ecm
does not limit rpm but does have the 2 min beep
anyone know what this means is wrong?

any help would be great
Old 07-23-2014, 01:30 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Simple the shift in gear switch is out of adjustment or bad or bad connection. Sometimes this code will not show. It tells the ECM / PCM in when shifted in gear or N when it goes bad or out of adjustment they ECM / PCM can not distinguish where it is. this fault can even shut your engine down while running in some cases.
Old 07-24-2014, 01:59 PM
Registered

Thanks
I did look at that, and tested with an ohm meter it seemed to be working, I will try putting in a new switch and see what happens
Old 07-25-2014, 07:44 AM
coolrunning racing
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The shift switch could also still be activated if the transom shift cable has issues. The shift cable can be effected by heat and corrosion causing it to have high effort and or limited travel. This in turn does not allow the mechanism the triggers the shift switch to return to center leaving it partially activated. So make sure when you are running in gear the mechanism is centered and the switch is not mechanically activated.
Old 07-25-2014, 11:22 AM
BUP
Banned

the code shift switch per diagnostic is shift position switch fault as the switch indicates neutral at high speed and high loads. neutral rational. the problems or possible cause are wiring / connection problem, switch bad or out of adjustment, linkage problem. this also is fault # 110 per ECM 555 Mercruiser. Hope this helps as well.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:41 PM
Registered

Thanks, but still can't figure out
Switch has continuity in neutral and open in fwd and reverse , in neutral rpm is limited . I would think this is correct. But still sets code? If it was not working I would think it would limit rpm in gear but it goes to 4500 and runs fine/
Old 07-28-2014, 12:57 AM
BUP
Banned

The switch is closed in N and open in FWD and REV. The ECM / PCM uses the info to calculate the best operating strategy for load or no load conditions. The status of this switch can be monitored with the scan tool.. Did you see what your scan diagnostic reported its position.
Old 07-28-2014, 10:21 AM
Registered

Bup thanks for the help
I am going to be back by the boat tommorow, I use Rinda Diacom system, Not sure if it indicates switch open or closed But will check
Thanks
Old 07-29-2014, 12:16 PM
Registered

Problem solved
Ended up switch was bad, Switch worked fine when at idle and shifted every once and a while it showed neutral on the computer even though it was adjusted properly.
Thanks again for the help
Old 07-29-2014, 12:24 PM
BUP
Banned

Thanks for the update and like I said in post # 2 it could be out of adjustment or bad or have bad connection and you need to see were it was at while scanning the motor. Any of those 3 problems can or will set the code. And sometimes I seen no codes for the switch when in fact is was out of adjustment or bad. Again thanks for telling us the correct fix. I like that and you done good.

Last edited by BUP; 07-29-2014 at 12:31 PM.