Could backfiring cause this? >

Could backfiring cause this?

Notices

Could backfiring cause this?

Old 07-28-2014, 08:51 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 3,050 Likes on 1,357 Posts

It sounds to me like fhe firing order might still be wrong, or you have a plug thats not firing, anything off idle would act like this, is this a C swap firing order cam, or standard, I know you said dont ask but !!!!!! I have to about the wires

Last edited by F-2 Speedy; 07-28-2014 at 08:54 AM.
Old 07-28-2014, 01:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I said don't ask because it's still a little tough to admit stupidity in a room full of gearheads. Lol. That being said the engine was delivered with plug wires installed as it just came off of the dyno, my buddy who I am putting the boat together for decided to paint the block. He pulled the wires, masked, & painted the block. After installation & hanging parts on it I made the mistake of looking at the intake & installing the wires accordingly thinking #1 was front starboard instead of port. I stand shamed but honest about it. Anyway after realizing MY mistake I reset the wires & the engine would start & run. I got the cam & valve train components from Bob at Marine Kinetics & the cam is nothing special as this is a mild build more for torque to move a heavy boat and called to ask if it was set up as a 4-7 swap, he said no. The flywheel is correct & pinned so it will only go on 1 way. Plugs were changed thinking it had fouled one. I think everything was done shy of having a witch doctor remove evil spirits. That is why it came out. It was not knocking & oil pressure was good so I was confident nothing broke but at this point I just wanted to be absolutely sure because I don't want to own every little thing down the line, I know too late. Any other info or pics I will do my best to provide. I NEED this to get done so I can get back to my Eliminator & Scarab projects!!!
Old 07-28-2014, 01:45 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does it shake in gear, neutral, or both?
Old 07-28-2014, 02:18 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

No shame here Randy, we all make mistakes but ur the bigger man to admit it, You must of been thinking of that 427 Cammer in your Ford Mustang when wiring LOL, Im still a bit puzzled, was anything added to the rotating assembly after it came off the dyno ?? how is there an hour of run time on it if its had a bad vibration.
Old 07-28-2014, 03:45 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I am or was a certified Ford tech, maybe that's it. Lol. The run time was just doing the checks normally associated with a new install. Making sure There Are No Leaks, Shifts OK and such. Most of this was at idle.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:00 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

randy,normally the dyno shop uses there own flywheel for dyno pulls,id make sure you have the correct wheel for the application.
Old 07-28-2014, 04:09 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Black Baja
When they run out of oil #3 main is the first to go. I don't know how hard you were running it for an hour...
i must disagree,#1 is the farthest away from the oil pump but i have seen any and all go bad.
Old 07-28-2014, 05:06 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Haul that thing to KC we'll get her fixed up,
Old 07-28-2014, 06:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Mike, the builder takes pics of his builds to verify what goes out the door & being that I have another 502 block to build I began to think the flywheels were switched when I was hanging parts on this one. He told me I have the correct one & that it is the one used during dyno testing. I was not wanting to but I think I am going to tear it down completely & start over for the 4th time. Between Jasper Racing & two local shops and a large sum of money between all 3 I have a large pile of crap I can't use so if I do it myself from scratch & check everything myself I can't do much worse. If you guys don't mind answering some stupid questions maybe I can get this done.
Old 07-28-2014, 06:40 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

A vibration is different than a misfire.

Then again, I had a Ford Exploder have a harmonic damper come apart that I couldn't figure out the misfire. LOL. You would've thought it would have made noise (2 halves totally seperated) and felt like an out of balance vibration. Nope, still swear it felt like misfires. LOL. Dammit !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.