How to tell the diffrence between a bravo 1 and 2 >

How to tell the diffrence between a bravo 1 and 2

Notices

How to tell the diffrence between a bravo 1 and 2

Old 08-03-2014, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to tell the diffrence between a bravo 1 and 2

I thought I have a brao 1 but a fellow boater told me yesterday he thought it was a bravo 2. How can I tell the diffrence? I need to replace it and want to shop for the correct one
Old 08-03-2014, 09:05 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Dmsroxstar
I thought I have a brao 1 but a fellow boater told me yesterday he thought it was a bravo 2. How can I tell the diffrence? I need to replace it and want to shop for the correct one
Bravo 2 was a semi rare drive. The best way to find out is check the gear ratio by using the spin and count method. Bravo 2 has a much lower gear ratio in the 2s.

What kind of boat do you have? The bravo 2 was used for larger heavy boats
Old 08-03-2014, 09:42 AM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

the upper is basically the same but the lower is a lot bigger (footprint / diameter) also the props for a bravo II use a bigger diameter for cruiser type boats so sometimes prop diameter will be larger on the Bravo II. Also if the outdrive has a readable serial # you can call merc with it and they can tell you what it is but who knows what has been switched out on the app. Also you can ask a Merc dealer with that outdrive serial # as they can look it up on Mercnet.

Back in the 90's wellcaft excall 26 ft cabin boats used the Bravo II along with a lot of houseboats and crusiers. They still do today.

Last edited by BUP; 08-03-2014 at 09:49 AM.
Old 08-03-2014, 11:44 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

The Bravo 2 has 19 spline shaft and the Bravo 1 has 15 spline. I hope this helps. Good luck!
Old 08-03-2014, 02:02 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Great point from Parasail. Forgot to post that. Also the bravo II will accept a 20 in diameter prop. it has a longer length from propshaft to anti ventilation plate.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:16 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had a 96 wellcraft excel with a 454 bravo 2 setup. No complaints about the setup. From what I understand the Bravo 1 and 2 share the same upper and the difference as already mentioned is the taller lower unit and larger propshaft. Also the taller lower unit is less than ideal for a performance application. If speed is a concern the Bravo 1 is a better choice.
Old 08-05-2014, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dandercam1
I had a 96 wellcraft excel with a 454 bravo 2 setup. No complaints about the setup. From what I understand the Bravo 1 and 2 share the same upper and the difference as already mentioned is the taller lower unit and larger propshaft. Also the taller lower unit is less than ideal for a performance application. If speed is a concern the Bravo 1 is a better choice.
Ayuh,.... Actually, the BI, the BII, 'n the BIII, All share the same Upper, only the Lower unit changes,.....
Old 08-05-2014, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

The uppers are interchangeable ,but 1's ,2's and 3's use different ratios in the uppers to achieve the same overall final ratio. For example, a B2 w/1.5ratio uses different ratio in the upper and lower than a B1. Dont ask me why they did it this way but they did!