oil spray from the front of a new 502 motor custom built >

oil spray from the front of a new 502 motor custom built

Notices

oil spray from the front of a new 502 motor custom built

Old 08-11-2014, 03:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil spray from the front of a new 502 motor custom built

Okay this is a new motor with about 2 hrs on it last year we took out time and didn’t beat on it. Late in the year we found the flywheel was bad. We put the boat for the winter

Now we have the boat back from the marine that worked on it. Had a few things we need to clean up that they didn’t finish

Okay now the fun part had to figure why the boat wouldn’t turn off with the key seems they put the wires on the wrong side of the oil pressure switch on the back of the block not sure why they are there but they are also the fuel pump positive wire is there pull power to turn it on not sure is that is good but I guess if you loose oil pressure it will kill the motor.

Now out first run sat not good first I must say I didn’t know the brake in oil was still in the motor so remember that put the boat in the water the flow master water pump will not self prime had to motor to a dock with a hose that suck need to look at that.

Motor got hot about 220 per the gauge let to cool for a while then had the fresh water prime the pump and cool it off to 130 then we are good pump will stay primed

Now out the harbor we go oil pressure at 20 at about 1000 rpm put the boat in neutral and rev up oil pressure at 40 at 2800 off we go
out in open water I look down and see at 2k we are at 32 lbs at 3k its down to 28 I pull off the throttle at idle 20 rev it goes to 40 motors sounds great water temp 130 oil temp not working off we go and I go to the next harbor I watch the oil pressure drop to about 19 at 2800 I come off the throttle and it dies will not fire up get towed pull the boat out get it home and there is oil all over the front of the motor and in a big spray ring.

Okay first the motor is fine didn’t blow it up thank god now I pull the dip stick and freak out we drain the oil nasty pulled filter nasty
fresh oil 40 weight and new filter fire it up at the house prefect idle pressure 20 rev it to 3 k 40 lbs back to an idle 20

I run it up to 3200 no oil spray

Back in the water second run oil pressure is better at 1200 25 psi off we go and do a few sort run oil pressure about 40 at 2800 keep looking in the hatch

Third run well off we go at 2500 40 psi at 3200 45 psi at 4000 about 60 psi first time I saw it this high we ran at 3k for about 25 mins came off plan and all hell broke loose motor starts to miss oil pressure at 1000 near 0 rev up comes up so off we go back to the harbor now the motor feels like its being held back we make it to the harbor and there is a hell of a lot of oil spray again new fresh oil fuel pump is not working as the oil pressure is at 0 at idle what is the oil switch bad or the sending unit

The big question is where is the oil coming from and why we have one breather cap on the pass side a regular oil cap on the right and a vent running to the carb to the bottom plate, Of course I get a call to tell me the boat is taking on water seems the seal where the bell housing is get messed up when the marina put the motor back in how nice of them

And help on what and where to look for on the oil spray and pressure issue would be a great help
Old 08-11-2014, 03:45 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Put a mechanical gauge on it. When that tells you the oil pressure is low, pull the motor and take it to somebody that actually knows what they are doing to fix it. Just from the description of the wiring it sounds like your mechanic is far from dreamy.

And try to put a little more effort into making your posts easier to read, it will get you more help from some very knowledgeable people here.
Old 08-11-2014, 03:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

My head hurts!
Old 08-11-2014, 03:47 PM
SORE MEMBER
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what kind of motor? pics showing oil spray?
Old 08-11-2014, 03:50 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

What do you mean "nasty oil" when you drained it???

How can you not tell where the oil is coming from???
Old 08-11-2014, 09:35 PM
Registered

mine too sorry for the run on trying to put all the info in there

I will install that type of gauge / where on the motor is a good place to install it

the oil was a dark brown in color had the smell of gas bad

the spray looks like oil was hitting the harmonic balancer or the belt for the alternator spraying it all over the inside of the hatch

its a custom built 502 making 525 not a create motor don't have the spec on it

could the motor be building to much crank case pressure all this seems to happen after we run it up near 3k over a 20 min run water temp says at 130

Last edited by Dpad; 08-11-2014 at 09:42 PM.
Old 08-11-2014, 09:51 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

OK, I'll take a stab at this one. Carb (assuming carb and not MPI) is dumping raw fuel into the engine, which washed down the rings and produced excessive blow-by. The excess pressure is forcing the oil out the front seal. Did you notice any oil coming out the breathers or dipstick tube?

Also, if this is a Gen V/VI, did the correct oil bypass valve get installed in the filter pad? Was this a marine engine originally, or did it come out of a car at some point. Lots of info on this forum about the bypass valve. If the small (11 lb) one is left in there, oil will bypass the filter and cooler, resulting in the ugly burnt up oil you saw and causing oil pressure issues when the oil heats up.

I think you may have several issues going on here. Let me guess, this motor was built by a guy who builds (a. drag racing; b. circle track; c. truck pull) engines and he occasionally dabbles in marine engines. Am I getting warm?

Good luck with it - there are some smart guys on here who will get you pointed in the right direction, but it may involve some pain to the pocketbook first. Ask me how I know.
Old 08-11-2014, 10:11 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Do you have an oil cooler mounted to the front of the engine like the later 502 MPI's ?
Old 08-12-2014, 06:46 AM
Registered

Ok let me give you more info I have no idea on the oil bypass valve trying to find out the motor builder from what I’ve been told as this is my nephew’s boat the guy that built the motor passed away last year and the son is doing the motors now and was involved in building this motor.

So there the first problem when I was younger I use to work on the boat with my uncle my nephews father how passed a few years ago and it had a different motor in it. Boat was sold to a friend that’s when the 427 was taken out and the 502 was put in the first one blew up threw a rod out the side of the block, same motor guy did a new motor and now that’s where I come in as my nephew is lost on all of this and I am trying to figure this all out yes crazy.

as for the carb I believe its a holly 850 my nephew also had the marina change the ignition from electric one to a msd red cap plug and play I had to retard the time a hair it starts better now idles easy but I feel it needs a little more motor sounds and runs strong not back fire at high revs but that is the least of the problems, all the problems start after running for awhile wants to load up as I come off plane I have to idle in at 1100 to keep it clear

As for what Gen it is i will find that out is there a way of looking at the block to figure it out

no oil coming out the breather only one
no oil coming out the dip stick
also i thought it was funny how small the valve cover are there like low profile
we have a reg fill cap on and a pvc valve running the to bottom of the carb
i have to check that and see if its all plugged up
Old 08-12-2014, 07:21 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

You aren't going to want to hear this I am sure, but I would pull that motor and get it to a reputable marine engine builder now and have it gone through. You don't have any history other than the first one blew up and the guy who built it is not around anymore. There are several red flags already. Oil pressure is your first warning that things are going wrong and by the time you start hearing things the severe damage is already under way. If you pull it now you might be able to salvage some stuff that will otherwise be destroyed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.