Dual trim pumps, one switch?

Notices

Dual trim pumps, one switch?

Old 08-13-2014, 06:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual trim pumps, one switch?

Hi all! Does anyone know if I can rewire to run both drives up and down with one of my existing switches in the throttles. (85 Mercruiser twin 350's with separate trim switches on the tops of the throttles) I tried searching some but wasn't finding it. Thanks
Old 08-13-2014, 07:10 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

You can buy a switch kit with diodes.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:17 PM
Registered

Yes, you can. Are your throttle trim switches the only ones you have or is there additional switches on your dash? As long as the switch is rated for the current of 2 trim pump relays you could just splice the wires from the switch you don't want to use to the one you are using. The safest and easiest way to do this would be to add 2 12volt relays. Just wire the coil of the relays to be energized off the trim pump relay terminal of the pump controlled by the switch you want to use on your throttle. Then wire the contact side of each relay to the up/down relays on the other trim pump. This would isolate the switches and still let you use your other throttle switch if the outdrives get out of sync. Hope this makes sense. I can prob draw up a schematic if you need one to reference.
Old 08-13-2014, 07:25 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

thanks guys!
yes 90nova, there are trailer buttons also. (purple and red wires)
Old 08-14-2014, 12:46 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

You can easily do it with the addition of a couple of diodes. You need the diodes because they only let the current flow one way. You need that so that you still have switches that work independently. You can get the diodes from Radio Shack for about $2. I can check on the ohm rating tomorrow at the shop if you need me to.
Eddie
Old 08-14-2014, 06:14 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by Young Performance
You can easily do it with the addition of a couple of diodes. You need the diodes because they only let the current flow one way. You need that so that you still have switches that work independently. You can get the diodes from Radio Shack for about $2. I can check on the ohm rating tomorrow at the shop if you need me to.
Eddie
That would be great Eddie! I have zero experience with diodes. Thanks so much!!
Old 08-14-2014, 07:20 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 15 Posts

Diodes..=.. illuminated electronic diode...= LED's. Now you have experience with them. Think of a diode like a check valve. Fluid, or in diode's case electricity, can only flow one direction. For trim switches you just don't need diodes that light up
Old 08-14-2014, 05:21 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 92nsx
Diodes..=.. illuminated electronic diode...= LED's. Now you have experience with them. Think of a diode like a check valve. Fluid, or in diode's case electricity, can only flow one direction. For trim switches you just don't need diodes that light up
Yeah, I got that from Eddie. So they are directional. Do they have an arrow on them for direction of flow like a check valve?