Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Motor question for the Guru's... >

Motor question for the Guru's...

Notices

Motor question for the Guru's...

Old 08-17-2014, 02:20 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motor question for the Guru's...

I have 525sc motors in my boat. Just last month, the port motor began to "miss" and the rpm's would drop significantly. They would then go back up. Almost like the motor was either back firing but without the bang. It was more of a hiss.. At the same time, I had lost about 500 rpms on that motor from where it should have been running. Initially, the motor just did this at wide open, then at a high rpm, then, simply if the motor had a load on it as in heavy current or getting on plane. It got to be a big enough problem that the motor began to stall out following the episodes. It would then start back up like normal. The time frame from problem start to stalling was under 20 minutes.

I took the boat to my local guy who is very competent and had them look it over. Initially the thought was a misfire as the plugs, wires, etc.. had not been changed in a while. So, new plugs, wires, rotor and cap. The problem persisted. So, the changed the fuel pump along with filter. Did the same work on both motors. At this point the motors ran really good. Got the rpms's back up to 5000 at wot. The boat is running 26 pitch 4 blade bravo props. No more issues while running here in Pittsburgh on the rivers. Even sustained runs.

So, we go to Buffalo and partake in the poker run. The problem came back. But not as frequent. During the run, the port motor would do the same "hiccup" when we would have a hard landing on the water and send a jolt through the boat. If the water was calm or smooth, no problems. Just when we would hit hard. The voltage, oil pressure, temperature and fuel pressure gauges would not move when the rpm's would drop then pick back up. No stalling either. Kinda baffled. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:35 PM
Registered

What ignition do you have, TB IV or TB V?

I had an ignition issue with an HP500 with TB IV that started out intermittently then got progressively worse. It would run great for some time, then hiccup, and eventually stall and not re-fire until it sat for awhile. It turned out it was the rev limiter, as it heated up it caused the ignition to fail. Probably not the same issue, since yours seems like a loose wire or ground loose and the jolt is moving things enough to cause a momentary issue, but at least something to consider.
Old 08-17-2014, 02:43 PM
Registered

Not sure which one I have but I can find out. Havent had a chance to get together with my mechanic here since we've been back as I have been busy with work. Was thinking the possibility that the jarring could be causing an interruption in the fuel but a loose connection could be it too.
Old 08-17-2014, 05:27 PM
Registered

I would guess ignition also. Check all your grounds and battery cables. Sometimes the coil can get hot and "go open"
Old 08-17-2014, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Pretty sure your 525's have the thunderbolt 4, and the extremely problematic rev limiter mounted right behind it on the bracket. Get rid of it.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 566 Likes on 234 Posts

Don't be afraid to check your actual ignition switches and the connections to them also . Have seen them do this quite a few times in the past on boats. They eventually wear out from either the keys bouncing around in them or them getting wet repeatedly.
Old 08-17-2014, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 317 Likes on 174 Posts

Do you have kill switches? On two different boats I have had the kill switch (lanyard side) become loose enough to allow the button on the switch to come out enough to make the engine momentarily cut out when hitting a large wake or wave. Drove me crazy till I figured it out.

Padraig
Old 08-17-2014, 06:33 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Post your serial # - early early apps had firepower ignition and later years went to t-bolt set ups.
Old 08-17-2014, 07:12 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thought they all were thunderbolt
Old 08-17-2014, 07:20 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,110 Likes on 1,401 Posts

Originally Posted by RollWithIt
So, we go to Buffalo and partake in the poker run. The problem came back. But not as frequent. During the run, the port motor would do the same "hiccup" when we would have a hard landing on the water and send a jolt through the boat. If the water was calm or smooth, no problems. Just when we would hit hard. The voltage, oil pressure, temperature and fuel pressure gauges would not move when the rpm's would drop then pick back up. No stalling either. Kinda baffled. Any thoughts or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
I'll go a different direction assuming the first running issue was solved which it sounds like it was.

If your boat was really being jolted hard it could simply be fuel sloshing out of the bowls, thru the vent tubes, back into the carb's throttle bores. This is not uncommon if you are driving like in an Apache Boat video. LOL.

I have rebuilt 525SC carbs (Holley Dominators) and don't remember seeing any slosh baffles installed in the top of the metering blocks.

If your boat continues to run great in water that doesn't make you 'jolt/land hard' then this may very well be what's up. In the meantime, you can make sure that yuor float levels are correct. Too high a float level can cause this too - especially when jolted.

Last edited by SB; 08-17-2014 at 07:30 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.