Anybody use these boat dollies? >

Anybody use these boat dollies?

Notices

Anybody use these boat dollies?

Old 08-24-2014, 05:10 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Anybody use these boat dollies?

Looking to buy a couple of these (specifically the 3600 v-boat). Anyone used them before?

Good, bad?

Any pictures of your boat on them? curious how low you can get the boat to the ground.

http://www.crcmarinesupply.com/Boat%20Dolly.htm

Thanks in advance
Jim
Old 08-25-2014, 02:19 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We use what looks like those exact v dollies at work (except ours are black). You can get the v of the boat a fraction of an inch above that frame, so just a few inches off the ground. It is definitely a multiple person job to lift a boat onto them though. We usually use 2 forklift operators (one in the front and one in the back) and a guy aligning the dollies as we drop it down slowly. That connect-a-dolly thing seems like a good idea and might make it a little bit easier, especially when you get it all set up and adjusted the way you want for your boat. Always make sure you have 2 people when rolling the boat around on these as well. They wheels roll almost two well, and with all casters it can be a little challenging to get the boat moving in the direction you want. If you have a shop where space is tight and it would be easier to do that than hook up a truck and move it around then go for it. Great for working on trailers as well, but moving the boat around with a truck is definitely more convenient if it is an option.
Old 08-25-2014, 06:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Jolt
We use what looks like those exact v dollies at work (except ours are black). You can get the v of the boat a fraction of an inch above that frame, so just a few inches off the ground. It is definitely a multiple person job to lift a boat onto them though. We usually use 2 forklift operators (one in the front and one in the back) and a guy aligning the dollies as we drop it down slowly. That connect-a-dolly thing seems like a good idea and might make it a little bit easier, especially when you get it all set up and adjusted the way you want for your boat. Always make sure you have 2 people when rolling the boat around on these as well. They wheels roll almost two well, and with all casters it can be a little challenging to get the boat moving in the direction you want. If you have a shop where space is tight and it would be easier to do that than hook up a truck and move it around then go for it. Great for working on trailers as well, but moving the boat around with a truck is definitely more convenient if it is an option.
Thanks for the feedback! You make some great points. The reason for removing it from the trailer is so I can get the back half of the boat in my garage. With the boat on the trailer it is about 8" too tall!

Anybody else use these?

Thanks
Jim
Old 08-25-2014, 07:19 PM
Registered

I'd say the lowest you can get the hull is probably 4-6" off the ground. I'll see if I get more accurate numbers when I go in tomorrow, but unless your hull sits fairly high on your trailer, I don't know that you will gain quite enough using these dollies.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I made my own, height was not an issue for my but even still its 3" lower than the bunk trailer I brought the boat home with.

Old 08-25-2014, 07:28 PM
Registered

I also thought of building my own but it's going to be near impossible to build them for $280 a piece, yes I could build them but these have all the adjustments, powdercoated, carpeted bunks, high end wheels, etc. again tough to build for that price nevermind the labor, time is money!

Yours like nice though!
Old 08-25-2014, 07:44 PM
Registered

Received 698 Likes on 341 Posts

Originally Posted by Jolt
I'd say the lowest you can get the hull is probably 4-6" off the ground. I'll see if I get more accurate numbers when I go in tomorrow, but unless your hull sits fairly high on your trailer, I don't know that you will gain quite enough using these dollies.
I don't know about you but my boat sits a lot higher than 6" off the ground on the trailer. I'd think at 4-6" and Jim only needing to gain 8" they should work well. Jim just make sure your skegs will be high enough if you get the hull that low. Although it's not the end of the world pulling the drives to store for the winter.
Old 08-25-2014, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by 502ss
Thanks for the feedback! You make some great points. The reason for removing it from the trailer is so I can get the back half of the boat in my garage. With the boat on the trailer it is about 8" too tall!

Anybody else use these?

Thanks
Jim
Jim I have a set of dollies in my shop that I had thrown in on an engine deal from a few years ago similar to these. They are just sitting up in storage so if you would like to borrow them this winter and see if they work for you feel free, I won't be using them this year.
Old 08-25-2014, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 502ss
I also thought of building my own but it's going to be near impossible to build them for $280 a piece, yes I could build them but these have all the adjustments, powdercoated, carpeted bunks, high end wheels, etc. again tough to build for that price nevermind the labor, time is money!

Yours like nice though!
I paid 200$ for all 8 wheels shipped, and had the C channel laying around from old projects, that said even buying the steel It would have cost me 500$ and two afternoons in the garage. Northern Tool and Harbor freight both have many caster wheels to choose from.
Old 08-26-2014, 01:37 AM
Registered

if you're trying to get it lower, would it be better to put the casters on your trailer then take the wheels and/or axels off of the trailer. It would be way more stable and maybe as low.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.