SBC to BBC Conversion Questions >

SBC to BBC Conversion Questions

Notices

SBC to BBC Conversion Questions

Old 08-27-2014, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SBC to BBC Conversion Questions

If you guys have ever read my Formula 206LS build thread, you will see that I had a 383 stroker built up for my boat. It was shortly after stolen and stripped. To get it back in the water, I had an extra 305 sitting around so I threw that in. As you can imagine, NO FUN AT ALL. It runs a max of 30ish MPH and uses full throttle all the time and alot of gas to get there. I am ready to build another engine for my boat and want to go to a 454 this time. My question is, what all do I need to change for this? My boat has the newer Vortec style engine with 1pc rear main setup in it now. Also, I have a above the swim platform thru hull exhaust(pics below)...do you know if the exhaust for a BBC will line up from the SBC? Any advice would be great and if anyone has a solid performing and reliable build up on a budget for a 454 let me know. Now even though I did say budget, I don't mind spending money to make it right and dependable.

Thanks alot!

Old 08-27-2014, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

BBC and SBC share the same bolt pattern for motor mounts and bell housing, and the distance from the bell housing flange to the motor mounts is the same, so it will drop down in there, provided you have enough room in front of the motor in the bilge, because the BBC is longer. You will need to obtain the correct 454 flywheel, because they are externally balanced. Keep in mind that the Mk IV (early) 454 flywheel is different from the Gen V/VI late model 454 flywheel. You will need to find the correct alternator, PS and seawater pump brackets for the big block, along with the correct crank pulley. I think MerCruiserParts.com might be a good source of schematic diagrams with part numbers. Likely that you could find that stuff in the Swap Shop, or just find a complete marine take-out motor with all the brackets, acc, exhaust, etc.

Oh yeah, regarding exhaust, the SBC exhaust is closer together, so you may have alignment issues. Depends on how much distance you have between the exhaust tips in the transom and the risers - if 10 inches or so, you can probably make up the bend with some of the high temp silicone exhaust hose, as it is much more flexible and works well for alignment issues.

Good luck - been there, done that, and have the T-shirt and much lighter wallet to show for it.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:17 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Also, just noticed this is a 206 Formula. For a boat that size, I would consider staying small block. Much easier, and you could build a stout 406 small block that would make that boat scream. On a boat that small, I would be worried that the extra weight of a big block right over the stern would throw off the center of gravity and make it ass-heavy.
Old 08-27-2014, 01:18 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 39 Posts

Just went through the flywheel issue on another thread you should read. http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/d...heel-help.html
Old 08-27-2014, 04:33 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I do have a BB merc bell housing and engine mounts if you need them...Rob
Old 08-27-2014, 04:43 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

427 Small block might be fun
Old 08-27-2014, 04:44 PM
Registered

Received 55 Likes on 34 Posts

One thing not yet mentioned although important is short of the rare person who has never had an issue an alpha will not live behind a big block.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:51 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have an alpha stick with a small block.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

I hear this all the time about the back end being heavy with a big block. The weight difference is like have one extra person in the boat. Do not let that be a deciding factor. If stuck with an Alpha drive, I'd likely use a SBC. If you are going to install a Bravo 1, go with the biggest SBC (Dart SHP 427) or the standard big block. Have fun and report back.
Old 08-27-2014, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

A standard 330 hp 454 would push a 20' boat mid 60's and you can find takeouts complete for around 2500, with all acssories alt steering pump etc.

If you have the technlogy an ls based sbc would be sweet in that and 450 hp is supposed to be really easy to get and dependable with an ls.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.