Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Trim and Tilt Pumps, why is one so much faster?? >

Trim and Tilt Pumps, why is one so much faster??

Notices

Trim and Tilt Pumps, why is one so much faster??

Old 08-27-2014, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Trim and Tilt Pumps, why is one so much faster??

I am unable to properly trim my boat while running at speed as one trim pump is so so so much faster than the other. Both are connected to the same switch on the throttle but when you trim one comes up so much faster than the other that the boat starts to lean over very hard to one side. Making it feel to me to be very unsafe.

The boat also has separate switches on the dash for each drive. Using these you get the same result. It is no big deal if just trimming while on a long ride as you can take the time to even them out. But, if you want a quick burst of WOT forget it. Sticks to the dash and hit the trim button the boat feels like it is going to roll over as one drive comes up probably 10X faster than the other.

else ever run into this? Help, suggestions, insight in this matter is greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-27-2014, 03:54 PM
Registered

Received 107 Likes on 51 Posts

Is it possible you have one 12V pump and one 24V pump. I do think Mecury has both flavors. I know you use the swap shop a lot so it may be possible. Good luck.
Old 08-27-2014, 04:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sonicss42
Is it possible you have one 12V pump and one 24V pump. I do think Mecury has both flavors. I know you use the swap shop a lot so it may be possible. Good luck.
Both pumps are original to the boat.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe from a thread earlier this year that you can adjust the speed of each pump, slow one down and speed the other up. Also could be a poor connection.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure the fluids are the same viscosity first. One could be an outboard pump or a trim tab pump...I believe they have different orifices
Old 08-27-2014, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

your problem is not uncommon.the pumps have internal valving and as they get old they slow down due to internal leakage.it cost more to buy the parts to repair a pump than bying a new one.check out doug russel,s web site as he has great deals on new pumps.before you buy new make sure the ground is good on the slower pump.each one has it,s own ground wire.
Old 08-27-2014, 09:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Try flushing out the old oil in both and refill. Along the line someone might have added something different to one side.
Old 08-28-2014, 07:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you tried switching them - that will let you determine if it is the pump itself or another issue (wiring, rams, etc.). If it is the pump I have a spare here you can use to get you through the end of the season (take out from the 280 I parted) and it looks relatively new.
Old 08-28-2014, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Port Monster
Have you tried switching them - that will let you determine if it is the pump itself or another issue (wiring, rams, etc.). If it is the pump I have a spare here you can use to get you through the end of the season (take out from the 280 I parted) and it looks relatively new.
Port Monster...I'm having the exact same porblem as Baja226sport, only with my trim tab pumps. IF and only IF Baja226sport can't use you pump I may be a buyer if you think it's in good condition. However, I'm not sure if Trim/Tilt pumps are the same as Trim Tab pumps. Do you know?
TIA, Jim
Old 09-02-2014, 09:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Port Monster
I might take you up on that. I will email you. Thanks!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.