Notices

Wrong oil?

Old 09-06-2014, 06:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrong oil?

At the risk of sounding like a complete fool I need help on out drive oil. I needed to top off my small bottle of green out drive oil on my 5.0 Alpha Merc Cruiser so ordered a bottle from Amazon. It said Merc Cruiser High Performance lower unit oil etc. Got it and went to add just a little of the oil to the bottle and it comes out clear (well like motor oil color) definitely not green. What did I do wrong?? Thanks and please don't hammer me......
Old 09-06-2014, 06:42 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Boats are very educational read or do search in archives that's how I learned . N learned , and continue to learn everyday . Welcome to money pit nation , no question is a dumb question if you ask me I think you're fine as long as you put in high performance drive oil also
Old 09-06-2014, 06:44 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,115 Likes on 1,402 Posts

Merc HP is definately of major color !

maybe they sent you something else ?

Post up a pic of the exact bottle you got - since not a paid member , it will have to be a link.

We'll answer if you are fine or not.

Last edited by SB; 09-06-2014 at 07:08 PM.
Old 09-06-2014, 06:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

they might have stated it as being a replacement oil..if it dont read mercruiser or quick silver on the bottle then its not merc gear lube..sounds like hp oil and not gear lube like mentioned..
Old 09-06-2014, 08:39 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

A complete fool would not have asked the question,,,, this is the reason we are all here,,,, to gain knowledge !!!

Merc standard gear oil is oil color looking,,and actually fine for your Alpha,, can you post a pic on the bottle,,,,, was it sealed when you got it?
Old 09-08-2014, 08:09 AM
Registered

I can't figure out how to post the photo or as a link. Getting tough for an old retired guy. The bottle is a sealed brand new factory bottle that says:
Quicksilver 58Q01 80W-90 Premium Gear Lube - 32 oz.
I hope this helps. I am an hour away from the closest boat shop/marina but can go there and ask for "green stuff" if need be. If this oil,is ok can I mix it with the green stuff in resivour bottle? Seems wrong to mix green and light oil?
Thanks VERY much for replies.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:16 AM
SB
Registered

That will be fine for your set-up. Most of us here live in fear of breaking outdrives so most use at the minimum the Mercruiser / Quicksilver High Performance Gear Oil - which happens to be green.

Here's the pic of what you have:

Old 09-08-2014, 08:25 AM
Registered

[QUOTE=SB;4184736]That will be fine for your set-up. Most of us here live in fear of breaking outdrives so most use at the minimum the Mercruiser / Quicksilver High Performance Gear Oil - which happens to be green.

+1, I wouldn't worry about mixing the oil in your setup. Next year when you change oil, I would use the HP, but not absolutely required unless you have a lot of HP.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:32 AM
SB
Registered

Well, it looks like I'm wrong again. LOL.

Quicksilver / Mercruiser is only recommending it for 75HP and under.

See: http://www.quicksilver-products.com/...rd/lower-unit/

I could have sworn it was for all regular lower HP applications. Maybe they have changed the recommendation ?

I have always used the HP, even on regular powered boats, but I will never be known to be easy on things + others boats I work on I use the HP just because.
Old 09-08-2014, 09:35 AM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

All you did was top off the bottle,,,,,, no worries

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.