Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
QUICKSILVER SBC long block assembly worth building? >

QUICKSILVER SBC long block assembly worth building?

Notices

QUICKSILVER SBC long block assembly worth building?

Old 09-12-2014, 05:24 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default QUICKSILVER SBC long block assembly worth building?

My 1981 Pantera 24 has an engine that was built from a Quicksilver reman SBC long block assembly, Quicksilver (merc) part # 87971R5. This is the GM 5.7 Litre "Non-Gen.+" 350 V/8 (Left-Hand Standard Rotation). Engine has approximately 60 hours on it since build. Its all stock except for the Edelbrock Performer EPS intake (Part # 2701) and the Edelbrock Marine Series 600 cfm, Square-Flange, Electric Choke Carburetor, non-EGR (Part # 1409).

The boat originally had a sbc that had quite a bit more hp & tq according to the previous owner. The valve covers have been reused off of original engine, they are corvette valve covers, so who knows. This motor was thrown together to just get him back on the water. And it just stayed in there until I purchased the boat.

I'm looking to see if this engine would be a good candidate to build up. I'm thinking a nice set of heads so it can really breathe and a cam swap. I think I would be getting after market exhaust also as it has the stock merc log manifolds that dump out the rear, it does have thru hull.

Here is how she is now...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]529453[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails QUICKSILVER SBC long block assembly worth building?-engine_01_web.jpg  
Old 09-12-2014, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Yes, its possible... but you can easily build a mild 450~500 hp bbc that is going to have a much easier life than a heavily tweaked might mouse.

In a 24 pantera, anything under 450-500 hp is going to get, well, kinda boring.
Old 09-12-2014, 07:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DjMikeyC
My 1981 Pantera 24 has an engine that was built from a Quicksilver reman SBC long block assembly, Quicksilver (merc) part # 87971R5. This is the GM 5.7 Litre "Non-Gen.+" 350 V/8 (Left-Hand Standard Rotation). Engine has approximately 60 hours on it since build. Its all stock except for the Edelbrock Performer EPS intake (Part # 2701) and the Edelbrock Marine Series 600 cfm, Square-Flange, Electric Choke Carburetor, non-EGR (Part # 1409).

The boat originally had a sbc that had quite a bit more hp & tq according to the previous owner. The valve covers have been reused off of original engine, they are corvette valve covers, so who knows. This motor was thrown together to just get him back on the water. And it just stayed in there until I purchased the boat.

I'm looking to see if this engine would be a good candidate to build up. I'm thinking a nice set of heads so it can really breathe and a cam swap. I think I would be getting after market exhaust also as it has the stock merc log manifolds that dump out the rear, it does have thru hull.

Here is how she is now...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]529453[/ATTACH]
sell it as a turn key motor..you will never get the hp out of it,,but a dart little m and build a 416 cid will give you 525 hp..good turn key engine..
Old 09-12-2014, 08:56 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I see where you are coming from, and I agree, but here are my thoughts... With a head & cam swap realistically what kind of power can the engine make? Can it get close to 350hp with torq numbers that at least mirror the hp numbers? If so I can run the current alpha drive for now (as long as I'm easy on it) while I plan what to do next. I was thinking a 400 hp 383 stroker motor. If I do that some parts will be reusable.

At the 400 hp mark I should be near 70 mph and I'm going to need to upgrade the drive. And external steering will need to be added also.

This way I have time to source parts and still use the boat and she will have a bit more ooomph than it has now... Just what I was thinking...

On another note, I know where I can source a 406 sbc (400 bored 30 over) on the cheap intake to oil pan with dart angle port heads. Needs ignition and carb.

Last edited by DjMikeyC; 09-12-2014 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-15-2014, 12:09 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

OK, came across this today... "470 HURRICANE" 406 CID Small block Chevy marine engine... 470HP / 505TQ... to drop in my 24 Pantera. Anyone ever heard of TriStar engines of Baldwin, WI?

Link to info page http://www.tristarengines.com/catalo...te-engine.html

this is not the 406 I said I could get on the cheap, but this one is drop in, not a project engine...
Old 09-15-2014, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DjMikeyC
OK, came across this today... "470 HURRICANE" 406 CID Small block Chevy marine engine... 470HP / 505TQ... to drop in my 24 Pantera. Anyone ever heard of TriStar engines of Baldwin, WI?

Link to info page http://www.tristarengines.com/catalo...te-engine.html

this is not the 406 I said I could get on the cheap, but this one is drop in, not a project engine...
yes they are good,,compition products sells a lot of their products..
Old 09-16-2014, 12:48 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks... Highly considering this 406 sbc engine.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:19 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

I'm not fond of the cheap cast steel crank nor the cheap rods, unless it's in a wannabe street engine.

Just so you know too, the SHP heads are the cheaper of the Dart heads. Not that it's no big deal, but they are not the Pro 1's by any stretch.

Oh, speaking of which, I would try to get straight plug heads as I don't know if any of the angle plugs would interefere with exhaust manifolds. Probably I good assumption they do.
Old 09-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Registered

since your in lake George go see Jason saris at performance marine in Bolton landing they did my sbc 10 years ago and its still is bullet proof
Old 09-16-2014, 02:41 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by innerrage
since your in lake George go see Jason saris at performance marine in Bolton landing they did my sbc 10 years ago and its still is bullet proof
Was planning on doing that before I did anything, he builds great stuff!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.